Best purses for moms – guide to carrying all the things with your baby, toddler or both!
When you are headed out of your house with your baby, a diaper bag to hold ALL THE THINGS is a necessity. But what if you have an older baby and don’t need as many supplies? Or maybe you just want to up your style game with a bag that does the work of a diaper bag while still looking cute?
We curated some amazing diaper bag alternatives that will keep you organized and looking fashionable. Check out the top 10 purses for moms and find one that will suit your style and needs.
- The Top 10 Best Purses for Moms
- The Different Types of Purses that Work for #momlife
- 5 Things To Look For In A Good Mom Purse
- The Final Word
- You Might Also Like
Note: this blog post probably contains affiliate links, which means we may receive small commissions from purchases made through links in this post (at NO extra cost to you). You can read our full disclosure for more information.
The Top 10 Best Purses for Moms
The S-Zone Leather Tote Shoulder Bag is a stylish leather tote that measures 11” x 5.5” x 13.8.” While it isn’t designed to be a diaper bag, the size and interior pockets make it a wonderful option for organizing and carrying all of the things you need for your baby.
I have one just like this for my two little boys.
This tote bag has long (11.8” shoulder drop) double wide handles to make carrying it over your shoulder more comfortable. The inside is divided into two main pockets and includes two open pockets.
The tote has a zipper closure that will help keep everything inside (and out of sight!).
- large and roomy,
- long handles,
- made from durable leather
- only one type of handle
The MKF Crossbody Bucket Hobo Bag is a medium sized bag made of vegan leather. The interior has two compartments separated by a large zipper pocket. It comes in 23 different color/style combos and includes a wallet wristlet to hold credit cards and cash.
This MKF bag can be used as a handbag, when the strap is adjusted to a smaller size, or as a crossbody bag (which is helpful when you are carrying a baby or pushing a stroller). Measuring 10.5” x 9.5” x 7”, it is roomy enough to hold baby essentials but not bulky or awkward. The top closes with an adjustable leather drawstring.
- Many colors available,
- can work as a handbag or crossbody bag,
- 30 day satisfaction guarantee
- drawstring closure may be hard to manage with one hand (which is a bummer because how often do you have both hands free as a mom?!)
The Baggallini Horizon bag is a true crossbody purse. Boxy in shape with a 52” adjustable strap, this bag makes it easy to carry everything plus your baby. It comes in 23 different colors and is made of lightweight and water-resistant nylon. It is completely machine washable so a leaky bottle or applesauce packet can be quickly remedied by a trip to the laundry room.
This crossbody bag is more narrow width-wise than a typical diaper bag, measuring 10” x 10” x 1.5.” It would probably work best if your baby is getting older and needing fewer items. On the outside the Baggallini has three good sized zippered pockets. The inside has one main compartment as well as slots for five credit cards and a pocket that could hold a small bottle. The Baggallini Horizon also comes with a removable wristlet.
- Variety of colors,
- long strap,
- machine washable
- narrow – best for toddler moms who don’t need a lot of gear
- more utilitarian than stylish (though Dad might this this is a plus!)
If you want a diaper bag with tons of pockets for organizing, the Mintegra Crossbody is a great choice. Inside you’ll find one main compartment, two zippered pockets and two open pockets. The outside of this crossbody has two open pockets (perfect for bottles or sippy cups), and four additional zippered pockets.
The Mintegra measures 12.6” x 4.3’ x 9.4” and is available in 11 colors. The adjustable shoulder strap can convert this bag into a purse, shoulderbag or crossbody bag. Made from nylon fabric, this bag is water and stain resistant and can also be thrown into the washing machine.
- tons of pockets
- machine washable
- very casual
The S-Zone Backpack can be carried as a handbag, a shoulder bag or a backpack. Made of a soft leather with a satin lining, it is available in 7 different colors. This backpack measures 13.2” x 6.3” x 12.8.”
A large u-shaped zipper reveals the main compartment. Inside there are two open pockets and a side zipper pocket. On the outside of the backpack, two elastic side pockets will hold bottles or sippy cups nicely. Additionally there are two exterior front zip pockets large enough for a phone/tissues/pacifiers.
PROS: Flat bottom so it won’t tip over, easy to carry, lots of pockets
- flat bottom so it won’t tip over
- easy to carry
- lots of pockets
- stylish for a backpack!
- real leather calls for heavy duty zippers, so the bag is quite heavy by itself (2.12 pounds)
This satchel handbag has organization pockets galore but still manages to look chic. Made of high-quality vegan leather, the Scarleton Satchel Handbag can be used as a crossbody purse or shoulder bag. It measures 15.5” x 10” x 4.3” and comes in 7 different colors.
The inside of this handbag is divided into two large interior compartments; one side with a cell phone pocket and the other with a small zipper pocket. On the outside there are two side zipper pockets, zipper pockets on the front and the back, and a front magnetic pocket. The leather exterior can be wiped with a damp cloth.
- lots of pockets
- can be used as a crossbody or shoulder bag
- soft leather means this is a floppy bag that won’t stand up by itself
- not machine washable
This bag combines style and utility (along with some extra cool features). The Mia + Sophia Leather Diaper bag manages to look fashionable while still providing lots of space. Measuring 14” x 7.4” x 15.7” this large capacity bag includes a changing pad, a milk bottle holder, a shoulder strap and two straps to easily attach it to your stroller. It is made of premium vegan leather and comes in two colors.
A U-shaped zipper opens the large center compartment which houses two insulated pockets for bottles, a zipper pocket and a laptop compartment. The outside of this diaper bag has zippered pockets on the front and back as well as two side slot pockets. It also has a built in USB and power cable for charging cell phones or bottle warmers (the battery has to be purchased separately).
- Lots of space,
- easy to carry,
- includes lots of extras
- higher price point
- might have too many ‘diaper bag’ features if you’re a toddler mom!
The Monmore Tote style diaper bag has simple lines and tons of storage. Made from durable and easy to clean nylon, this bag comes in black or pale pink. With one large main compartment, 10 interior pockets and a large exterior pocket, the Monmore will help you keep all of your baby’s things organized and easy to access.
This tote measures 14.2” x 5.5” x 12.6” and has two large shoulder straps as well as smaller built-in straps to attach it to a stroller. It also comes with a matching foldable changing pad.
- lots of pockets,
- easy to wipe clean
- Harder to carry,
- looks more like a diaper bag
Petunia Pickle Bottom was one of the first companies to create high-end diaper bags. The Pathway Pack is a backpack style diaper bag that can also be used as a crossbody bag. It is made of durable and easy to clean canvas and has four different color/fabric options. The boxy style and colors make this a bag that both moms and dads will be happy to carry.
Inside the Pathway Pack is a main compartment with two open pockets and a snap-close laptop pocket. The flap has a snap closure and a zippered mesh pocket underneath. On the outside, the Pathway Pack has two bottle pockets, two open front pockets and a zippered pocket. It comes with a washable baby changing pad and a PPB monogrammed wipes case. The bag measures 15” x 3.5” x 14” and has a detachable cross-body strap.
- can be used as backpack or crossbody bag
- Not machine washable,
- higher price point
The Downtown Tote by Petunia Pickle Bottom is a bag that can effortlessly go from daycare to a day at the beach. Designed to be minimalistic and durable this tote is made from glazed coated canvas, has beautiful leather handles and comes in 8 different colors/patterns.
The tote measures 14” x 6” x 13” giving you plenty of room to hold all of your baby necessities. Inside you’ll find one main compartment with a zipper closure, six open pockets, and a zippered pocket. The outside also has a zippered pocket. The Downtown Tote comes with a detachable shoulder strap as well as a washable baby changing pad and PPB monogrammed wipes case.
- easy to wipe clean,
- stands up on its own
- no specialized pockets
The Different Types of Purses that Work for #momlife
A little creativity will go a long way in helping you find the perfect purse to use as a diaper bag. Different styles of purses that will work as an alternative diaper bag include:
- Backpack: A backpack will keep your hands free to hold carseats, push strollers and carry babies. Not everyone likes the style of a backpack but there is no denying their usefulness. A backpack makes a great alternative diaper bag if you have more than one child, are outside of your home often and are looking for the most space and organization possible.
- Crossbody Bag: A crossbody bag is a good mix between a more stylish purse and a practical backpack. Traditionally, crossbody bags are designed to lie flat against your body so they won’t hold as much as a backpack. However they are sturdy and often made from easy-to-clean fabrics (a huge plus for a diaper bag!).
- Tote: A tote bag usually has two handles that can be slung over your shoulder. They work well as diaper bags because they are large and easy to open up wide. Totes can be more fashion friendly but they will be harder to keep on your shoulder if you are wrestling a carseat (or fussy child).
- Satchel: Satchels usually have a long shoulder strap and a flap closure. They make great diaper bags because they typically have lots of pockets and storage and are easy to carry around. These definitely have more of a utilitarian look so if you are looking for more style you might want to try a tote or hobo bag.
- Hobo Bag: The main distinction of a hobo style purse is their top closure, which is some form of an adjustable drawstring. They come in many different styles from casual to more trendy, and usually include several different carrying strap options.
5 Things To Look For In A Good Mom Purse
When you are trying to choose a purse to carry your baby necessities, think about these important features:
- Strap Style: On a typical outing with your baby, you might have your hands full with a stroller, carseats or other children’s hands. If you have more than one child or a tiny baby, you might want to choose a strap style that will stay put like a backpack or crossbody bag.
- Size: If you are scaling down from full-blown infant diaper bag, you can choose a less bulky bag. However, if you still have lots of baby items to tote and/or more than one child, you might want to choose a larger styled bag like a tote.
- Fabric: Many purses and diaper bags will be made of fabric that can only be wiped clean. If you are concerned about things spilling or like to have an option that can be sanitized, choose a purse or diaper bag that is completely machine washable.
- Pockets/Storage: Choose a bag with more pockets if you like to keep things separate and easy to access.
- Ease of Use: Consider purchasing a few different purses/diaper bags to try out. Some bags are easier to operate one-handed.
The Final Word
Gone are the days when moms were stuck lugging around ugly, gigantic diaper bags. With so many different purse options available today, every mom should be able to handpick the features she wants and find a purse that she will love to use.
Here are our top choices from the top 10 purses for moms.
Mia + Sophia Leather Backpack: This beautiful backpack is made of high quality leather so it looks nice AND has many helpful pockets for organizing. The built in USB power cord and included changing pad and stroller straps make this our top overall choice for a stylish and useful purse for moms.
Scarleton Satchel Handbag: We love that this bag is easy to carry, comes in several different colors and has TONS of pockets to keep all of the baby gear organized and easy to access.
Petunia Pickle Bottom Downtown Tote: This tote is simple yet so stylish. Its roomy interior and non-diaper bag look means you can take it anywhere and use it for years to come.