Best stainless steel sippy cups for babies and toddlers.
Sometimes we forget that the little humans we care for are actually that…little people with their own opinions likes and dislikes. One area toddlers want their voice heard is when it comes to their drinks. Not only do many toddlers get attached to their sippy cups, but they can also be very vocal about the temperature of their beverages.
That’s why choosing a sippy cup can be strangely overwhelming. Not only do we have to worry about the likes and dislikes of our child, but as parents we have to consider the products’ material, design and safety.
And the choices! Plastic or stainless steel, sippy or straw, big or little, insulated or not…there are hundreds of different sippy cups to choose from.
Stainless steel sippy cups are the answer to many parents’ worries about sippy cup safety. They are increasing in popularity and availability as we learn more about how even BPA-free plastics may not be as safe as we had hoped. Not only can you count on stainless steel sippy cups to keep harmful chemicals out of your baby’s drinks, but they are also unbreakable, long-lasting and often insulated to keep drinks the perfect temperature.
We’ve researched and decided on the top 10 Stainless Steel Sippy Cups that will keep your babies and toddlers happy and help you feel good about keeping them safe.
- Our Top Stainless Steel Sippy Cups Recommendations
- 1) Munchkin Miracle Stainless Steel 360 Sippy Cup
- 2) Munchkin Cool Cat Stainless Steel Straw Cup
- 3) Pura Kiki 11 oz / 325 ml Stainless Steel Straw Bottle with Silicone Straw & Sleeve
- 4) SunZio Stainless Steel Cups for Toddlers and Kids with Elephant Silicone Sippy Lids and Grips
- 5) Thermos Foogo Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel 10-Ounce Straw Bottle
- 6) L. A. Baby Ultimate Stainless Steel Sippy Cup
- 7) Kid Basix Safe Sippy
- 8) Thinkbaby Stainless Steel Sippy Cup
- 9) Klean Kanteen Kid Classic
- 10) Cups for Toddlers Kids, E-far 6 Ounce Stainless Steel Insulated Tumblers
- What Is A Stainless Steel Sippy Cup And Why You Need One
- The Different Types of Stainless Steel Sippy Cups
- 4 Benefits Of Using A Stainless Steel Sippy Cup
- 4 Things To Look For In A Good Stainless Steel Sippy Cup
- In Summary
Note: this blog post probably contains affiliate links, which means we may receive small commissions from purchases made through links in this post (at NO extra cost to you). You can read our full disclosure for more information.
Our Top Stainless Steel Sippy Cups Recommendations
If you’re just looking for the best stainless steel sippy cup to buy, our favorites are:
- for younger babies – L.A. Baby Ultimate Stainless Steel Sippy Cup
- for older babies (who can manage a straw) – the Munchkin Cool Cat Stainless Steel Straw Cup
The Munchkin Miracle Stainless Steel 360 Sippy Cup holds 10 ounces of liquid and is insulated to keep drinks warm or cold. This sippy cup has a “miracle” lid (no straw or sippy) which allows for kids to practice drinking out of a real cup without spills or leaking. It comes in four colors and is top-rack dishwasher safe. This sippy cup does not have handles, which gives it more of a “grown-up” look but the design may be more difficult for tinier hands. Some reviewers report that the silicone top begins to deteriorate after several months.
- holds 10 ounces
- insulated so you can keep drinks cold or warm
- miracle lid helps prevent spills
- dishwasher safe
- no handles on this one, so might be better for older babies
- some reviewers reported the silicone top begins to deteriorate after several months.
This “cool cat” stainless steel straw cup has a flip-top lid with a straw inside. At 8 ounces, it is insulated and promises to keep drinks cool for up to 15 hours. The Munchkin Cool Cat Stainless Steel Straw Cup has easy-grip handles and is dishwasher safe. This type of cup is recommended by Munchkin for ages 18-months and up, presumably because straws can be tricky for babies to drink from. A sealing ring, when properly aligned, promises a “leak-proof seal.”
- flip top lid with straw
- 8 ounces capacity
- insulated for up to 15 hours of cool drinks!
- dishwasher safe
- easy grip handles
- leakproof sealing ring
- Some reviewers report that it is difficult to align the ring to keep it from leaking.
This very versatile Stainless Steel Straw Bottle can transition from infant bottle to a sport bottle by purchasing different silicone tops. The Pura Kiki hold 11 ounces of water in a stainless steel container that is NOT insulated. It includes a silicone sleeve for easier gripping and to prevent “sweating.”
- 11 ounce capacity
- silicone sleeve makes it easier to grip and prevents sweating
- compatible with several different tops so you can choose the one that suits your child best
- While it is compatible with other Pura silicone components, many reviewers report that the design of the straw top makes it nearly impossible for kids to get liquid out. Most recommend the sippy cup silicone top.
The SunZio Stainless Steel Cups hold 10 ounces of liquid and sports an adorable elephant sippy lid. Kids will love drinking from a cute elephant spout. Each cup has a silicone grip that can be attached over the stretched lid for added security if you have a child that might try to remove the lid. SunZio cups are spill proof and leak proof, dishwasher safe and have no crannies to clean. You can insert a reusable straw through the spout and also use the silicone tops on other cups. If your lid happens to rip, SunZio will replace it with no questions asked and no registration required. You just have to send an email.
- 10 ounce capacity
- cute design!
- silicone grip to attach over the lid to keep it safe from prying hands
- leak proof
- dishwasher safe
- lid replacement guarantee
- some users found that leakage could occur when roughly handled or thrown
The Thermos Foogo Vacuum Insulated Straw bottle holds 10 ounces and will keep drinks cool for up to 12 hours. The Foogo has a push-button lid that is leakproof until you open it to access the straw. The lid can be interchanged with other Foogo bottle styles (like a soft spout) so it can grow with your child. The bottle itself is hand wash only.
- 10 ounce capacity
- insulated and keeps drinks cool up to 12 hours
- leakproof and requires a push button to access the straw
- interchangeable lid so you can choose the best fit for your little one
- hand wash only
- Many reviewers mention that the push button breaks after a few months of use.
- This does not have handles or a silicone sleeve so it might be more difficult for smaller hands to grip.
The L.A. Baby Stainless Steel sippy cup holds 9 ounces of liquid and has a silicone, leak-free sippy spout. The Ultimate Stainless Steel Sippy cup is double-walled and insulated so it can keep drinks hot or cold for 10+ hours. It includes plastic removable handles to make it easier for babies to hold. You can phase this cup up with your baby by purchasing compatible toddler straws and carrying strap.
- 9 ounce capacity
- insulated and can keep drinks hot or cold for 10+ hours
- includes removable plastic handles
- can purchase compatible toddler straws for when baby gets older
- Reviewers mention that the plastic handles break easily and the sippy can be difficult to suck from.
The Kid Basix Safe Sippy holds 11 ounces of liquid and is single-walled (not insulated). It does include a TPR (Thermo Plastic Rubber) sleeve to help insulate drinks. The Kid Basix Sippy has removable handles and a spill-proof silicone sippy spout. It is 100% dishwasher-safe.
- 11 ounce capacity
- dishwasher safe
- includes a sleeve to insulate drinks
- removable handles and spill-proof sippy spout
- Many reviewers mention it is difficult to clean and doesn’t keep drinks cold for very long.
Thinkbaby Stainless Steel Sippy Cup holds 9 ounces of liquid and is not insulated. It features a no-spill spout that has a “cross-cut” design to mimic breastfeeding. It has removable handles to make it easier for little ones to hold
- 9 ounce capacity
- no-spill spout, cross-cut to mimic breastfeeding
- removable handles
- The spout is very unique to the ThinkBaby Sippy Cup, but some reviewers mentioned their child pushes in the silicone spout.
- It also has many reviews that mention the Thinkbaby leaks.
At 12 ounces, this stainless steel “kanteen” is bigger than most sippy cups. It has a swivel loop handle, a “dust cover” to keep it clean and prevent leaks while traveling, and is designed to fit in most cup holders. It is single walled (not insulated) and has a silicone sippy top.
- 12 ounce capacity (quite large!)
- handle and dust cover make it great for travelling (plus it fits in a cup holder!
- Reviewers mentioned it can get dinged up if dropped and does leak a little bit.
If you are concerned about using sippy cups because of your child’s dental health, you can purchase open cups made of stainless steel. These are 6 ounces and are insulated to keep drinks cold or warm. They are dishwasher safe and durable. You can pair these tumblers with a silicone sippy lid like these if you decide the open cup life is a little too messy for you!
- 6 ounce capacity
- dishwasher safe and durable
- can be paired with silicone sippy lids to avoid mess (especially good idea when out and about!)
- Reviewers mention that they can be too wide for little hands, and many wish that they held more than 6 ounces.
What Is A Stainless Steel Sippy Cup And Why You Need One
A stainless steel sippy cup is a sippy cup made of durable stainless steel instead of plastic. Most stainless steel sippy cups have silicone spouts or straws to drink from. If you are concerned about reducing your child’s exposure to the chemicals in plastic and/or want to keep their drinks warm or cold, a stainless steel sippy cup is a great purchase.
The Different Types of Stainless Steel Sippy Cups
There are several different types of stainless steel sippy cups that are a good fit for different ages.
- Stainless Steel Cup with Sippy Lid: This is the best type of stainless steel cup to purchase as you transition your baby from bottle or breast to sippy cup. This type of lid most closely mimics a bottle or breast and is easier for younger babies (6 months-18 months) to drink from.
- Stainless Steel Cup with Straw: This type of stainless steel cup is a great fit for kids older than 18-months. Designed to look more like a “grown-up” drink container, your little one will love pushing buttons for a flip-top lid (maybe too much!) and will be less likely to turn the cup upside down just to watch its contents leak out. Straws also help prevent contact tooth decay since the liquids go down the throat more quickly and aren’t pushed up against the teeth (like they are with a sippy cup).
- Stainless Steel Cup with “Miracle Lid:” A miracle lid doesn’t have a straw or sippy and is designed to help your child learn how to drink from a cup (without the mess that comes from an open container). Some parents choose to transition their child straight from breast or bottle to a miracle lid cup, but some babies are resistant to losing the comfort that comes from sucking.
4 Benefits Of Using A Stainless Steel Sippy Cup
- Free from harmful chemicals that could leach into your child’s drink
- Double-walled stainless steel provides insulation to keep drinks cold or warm
- More durable than plastic
- Doesn’t absorb smells
- Easier to keep clean
4 Things To Look For In A Good Stainless Steel Sippy Cup
There are several different types of features to consider when purchasing a Stainless Steel Sippy Cup.
- Single-wall or Double-Wall Stainless Steel: While single-walled stainless steel is lighter and easier for babies to hold, it does NOT provide insulation like a double-wall stainless steel sippy cup. If you have a child who is particular about the temperature of their drink and/or spend a lot of time in the car or traveling, a double-wall stainless steel sippy cup may be your best choice.
- Sippy, straw or miracle lid: Consider the type of lid that your baby needs to drink from. Younger babies will do best with a sippy or miracle lid. Older kids will love a straw lid on their stainless steel sippy cup.
- Handle or no Handle: If your child is younger and/or still using their sippy cup at bed and naptime you might want to consider choosing a stainless steel sippy cup that has handles. As they get older you can remove the handles, but having that option might be preferable to a sippy cup that is more difficult to hold.
- Is the model compatible with other types of lids? Some brands of stainless steel sippy cups including Pura Kiki, Thermos Foogo and L.A. Baby have interchangeable lids or tops. This means you can keep using the bottle but change out the silicone tops as your child grows. These brands might also be a good choice if you aren’t sure which type of lid (straw or sippy) will work best for your baby.
A Stainless Steel Sippy Cup is a wonderful choice for parents concerned about the dangers of plastic sippy cups. It is also a better choice for kids who are very particular about how warm or cold their beverage of choice is. The durability and variety of options available for stainless steel sippy cups make it an easy choice for parents trying to decide between a plastic sippy cup and a stainless steel sippy cup.
Our favorite choice is the double walled, insulated Munchkin Cool Cat Stainless Steel Straw Cup for older babies (who can manage a straw) or the L.A. Baby Ultimate Stainless Steel Sippy Cup for a sippy spout for a younger baby.