Best crib sheets for your new baby
Parents only want the best for their babies…and that extends all the way to the sheets our babies lay their little heads upon. But with so many crib sheets to choose from, it might be difficult to decide which ones will be the best for your little one.
We’ve done the hard work for you and narrowed it down to the top five crib sheets on the market. Keep in mind that it is best to have anywhere from 3-5 crib sheets on hand. There are nights you will need to change the sheets more than once thanks to diaper leaks, spit up or other fun baby clean-ups.
You may want to buy a few of your favorite or start out with a sampler of crib sheets so you can decide on what type you (and your baby) love best. Many of these sheets come with a no-questions-asked money back guarantee.
Note: this blog post probably contains affiliate links, which means we may receive small commissions from purchases made through links in this post (at NO extra cost to you). You can read our full disclosure for more information.
The Top 5 Crib Sheets of 2021
Rookie Humans Sateen Sheets
There aren’t many crib sheets that can double as an Instagram-worthy photo backdrop, but these sheets by Rookie Humans boast comfort and style.
Not only are they made of soft 100% cotton sateen with a 230 thread count, but they are also printed with a scene that looks like a magical, whimsical picture book.
There are three different sheets “scenes” available including “The Moon’s Birthday,” “Woodland Dreams,” and “Underwater Love.”
The Rookie Humans Sateen Sheets are certified to be free of harmful chemicals and the colorful printed scene/backdrop remains picture-perfect even after many washes. The adorable gender neutral scenes will work for boys and girls.
Some reviewers mentioned that the sheets wrinkle easily so you might need to iron them before snapping those perfect baby pics.
Rookie Human Sheets are designed to fit standard US crib mattresses (28” wide x 52” long x 8” deep) but are also available in mini-crib sizes.
Burt’s Bees Organic
Burt’s Bees has extended their high quality organic product offerings with these 100% organic GOTS certified cotton crib sheets. You can choose from 24 adorable patterns and colors to match any nursery theme, there is also a jersey knit option. The Burt’s Bees Organic sheets have “BEESNUG” encased elastic that goes along the entire perimeter of the sheets. The 360 degrees of elastic along with extra fabric overlap on the bottom edge help the sheets to stay firmly attached to the crib mattress. Reviewers commented on the softness of these crib sheets as well as their generous but snug fit. This crib sheet measures 28”x52”x 8” and fits standard crib and toddler mattresses.
Copper Pearl Premium Knit
From popsicles to dinosaurs and four neutral patterns in between, Copper Pearl Premium Knit Sheets are made of silky smooth Rayon fabric. These crib sheets have elastic that goes around the entire sheet to ensure a tight and safe fit. They are breathable and come with a 100% no-questions-asked money-back guarantee. They measure 27” x 52” x 9.” Some reviewers say that the fabric pills after several washes.
Posh Peanut Bamboo
Posh Peanut crib sheets promise the buttery softness that comes with bamboo viscose fabric (95% viscose from Bamboo, 5% Spandex). They offer 11 adorable pattern choices including florals, animal prints, camouflage and even dinosaurs and cacti. The fabric is not treated with chemicals like chlorine bleach, zinc or sulphate. Posh Peanut offers a 100% Satisfaction and Money Back Guarantee. The crib sheets will fit a standard crib mattress and measure 28” x 52” x 9.” Reviewers mention that the bamboo fabric helps their babies sleep comfortably in both hot or cool temperatures. The company responded to a pilling complaint from a reviewer by saying that bamboo is sensitive and cannot be washed with other abrasive fabrics or detergent. So you may need to wash these thoughtfully.
Goumi Kids Bamboo / Organic Cotton Sheets
Goumi Kids crib sheets are a blend of 70% bamboo viscose and 30% organic cotton. Not only is bamboo naturally antimicrobial and environmentally sustainable, but it is also super soft and works for both warm and cooler temperatures. Goumi Kids Crib Sheets come in three solid colors and four patterns including this one with “self-love affirmations” including, “I am wise, I am full of goodness, I’ve got this, I am enough, I am loved, I am at peace, I am kind, I am brave, I was made for this.” Goumi Kids crib sheets fit standard size cribs and measure 28” x 52” x 9.”
The Different Types of Crib Sheets
The biggest variable you will find when purchasing crib sheets is the fabric they are made from. Here is a breakdown of the pros and cons of the different fabric options.
- Cotton: crib sheets made of 100% cotton will soften with washing, but there is a greater possibility that they might shrink. Cotton is a natural textile that is gentle on sensitive skin. If you want to limit the amount of chemicals, look for crib sheets that are made from organic cotton.
- Cotton Sateen: This fabric is made of tightly woven (high thread count) cotton that has a beautiful sheen. The sheen occurs because the fabric is “mercerized” which is process where the fabric is soaked in lye and then acid. They are warmer because of their tighter weave…so they may not be ideal for hot environments or warm sleepers. But they are shiny and soft.
- Flannel: Flannel is a medium weight cotton fabric that has been brushed or woven loosely to make it “napped” or fuzzy. Flannel crib sheets are cozy in the winter but will be too warm in hot weather (or for babies who sleep hot).
- Jersey: This is the type of fabric that you will see referred to as “t-shirt” fabric. Jersey is actually the knit of the fabric, not the type of fabric. Jersey crib sheets might be made from cotton, cotton blend, wool or synthetic fabrics. This knit of fabric is stretchy, soft and will wear nicely.
- Rayon: Crib sheets made from rayon are silky soft, breathable and can wick moisture. However, rayon, a fabric made from purified fibers (typically from wood pulp), requires chemicals for processing. Since it is considered a “semi-synthetic” fabric it may not be the best choice if you are concerned about chemical exposure.
- Bamboo Blend: Many crib sheets are a blend of bamboo and another fabric (like spandex or cotton). Bamboo blend crib sheets are delightfully soft and breathable. They work well in hot or cold temperatures so they can be used year round. Bamboo fabric is very similar to rayon in that the viscose is purified fibers from trees (in this case bamboo trees) that are processed by chemicals. The benefit over traditional rayon is that bamboo viscose is more environmentally friendly: bamboo can be grown on land unsuitable for other trees and it grows quickly. Additionally, some bamboo textiles are created using a “closed loop” process that ensures that no chemicals enter the “waste stream.”
What to Look For When Buying Crib Sheets for Your Baby
- Fabric: When you are talking about a baby product that will be used and laundered A LOT the type of fabric you choose will be very important. Consider the type of environment you live in (hot or cold? Humid or dry?) and what type of fabric you will feel most comfortable with your baby sleeping on.
- Elastic: One concern with baby bedding is how well it stays in place. You don’t want crib sheets that will slip off easily because it can be dangerous to your baby. Crib sheets are purposely going to be a tight fit. If you are especially nervous about sheets getting loose, look for crib sheets that have elastic that goes around the whole perimeter.
- Size (especially depth): Measure your crib mattress. Most mattresses will be a standard size but make sure the crib sheets you purchase are an adequate size and depth to stay in place.
- Higher Price (as it indicates quality): You won’t often see us recommending that you purchase the highest price items, but when it comes to bedding you get what you pay for. The higher price of crib sheets will most likely show in higher quality fabric that won’t shrink, gets softer with time and will holds up better when being washed and dried. If you’re planning to have more children, starting with higher quality sheets will be an investment that pays off in the long run.
Must read: How many crib sheets do I need?
The Final Word
Crib sheets are a must have item for parents but the type of sheet you purchase depends on your preferences. Hopefully this guide of the top five crib sheets helped you learn more about crib sheet choices and decide which type is best for your family.
Overall, our highest recommendation goes to the Burts’ Bees Organic cotton crib sheets. Not only do these crib sheets come in 24 different patterns and colors, they are also made of a natural textile, get softer with use, and have extra measures to ensure that they will stay firmly in place.
For sheer photographability, we also recommend you grab one or two of the Rookie Humans Sateen Sheets. We love that these sheets are useful and double as an adorable way to document your baby’s growth.
Remember, you will need between 3-5 crib sheets on hand for your baby. Why not try one of each of these top five baby crib sheets?