Non toxic bath toys for babies and toddlers.
Do you remember your favorite bath toy from when you were a kid? Perhaps it was a rubber ducky… or a little toy boat.
Baths are not only the perfect punctuation to a long day, they also help your kids gently transition from playtime to bedtime.
When your child is in the bath getting fresh and clean, the last thing you want to worry about is exposing them to toxins or chemicals. Purchasing non-toxic bath toys is one way to ensure that the ONLY things in your kids’ bath are clean water and bubbles.
We looked for the top six non-toxic bath toys that will give you peace of mind AND provide hours of fun for your kids.
Note: this blog post probably contains affiliate links, which means we may receive small commissions from purchases made through links in this post (at NO extra cost to you). You can read our full disclosure for more information.
The Top 6 Non Toxic Bath Toys
A deep-sea diver, a shark and a cute purple octopus are all part of the BeginAgain Dunk & Dive bath toy set. BeginAgain is a company that specializes in products “designed with the environment in mind.” These bath toys are made of all natural rubber from the sap of rubber trees. They have large drain openings to prevent mold and are top rack dishwasher safe. Your kids will love the bright colors and the bubbles that are created when the toys are fully submerged. This Dunk & Dive toy set will encourage your child to make up imaginative stories while they get clean.
- Durable and chunky, sized just right for toddlers and little kids
- Dishwasher safe and easy to keep clean with large drains
- Made of all natural rubber
- Some reviewers mentioned there is a strong perfume scent that doesn’t go away.
This is NOT your average rubber ducky. For starters, the HEVEA Kawan Rubber Duck is made of one piece of 100% Natural Rubber, so there are no holes that will fill with water (or mold). It is handpainted with natural plant pigments and free from phthalates, pvc and bpa. The HEVEA duck is also quite large, measuring 5.5” tall. The texture on the rubber duck’s beak and feet make it delightful for teething babies and the all natural materials make it worry-free for parents.
- Made from 100% Natural Rubber which is both non-toxic and biodegradeable
- No holes that could fill with water or mold
- Giant sized and nice to chew on
- Reviewers mentioned that it doesn’t stay upright in water (but I’ve never found a rubber ducky that actually does, have you?)
Your child will love playing with this adorable squirtable whale and turtle bath toy set. Ingolf the Whale and Dagmar the Turtle are made from 100% natural rubber from a rubber tree and colored with natural food grade pigments. Unlike typical squirting bath toys, this HEVEA toy set has closing mechanisms that make them easy to dry and clean. A large plug can be removed to ensure that the toy dries out and is easy to wash. No more hidden mold!
- 100% natural rubber, plastic free and non-toxic
- These can squirt water but also have a large sealed opening that makes them easy to dry out and keep mold-free.
- Adorable and great for teething babies to chew on
- Separate top and plug could possibly get misplaced
This non-toxic bath toy looks like an origami paper boat. Made of 100% natural rubber from Malaysian Hevea trees and painted with natural plant pigments, it is soft and safe for your baby to chew on. Oli & Carol toys have no holes in any of their designs to prevent the possibility of bacteria and mold growth. Measuring 2.4 x 4.9 x 2.8 inches, the origami boat is the perfect size for toddlers and small children to grip and hold.
- Unique and whimsical design
- 100% natural rubber
- No holes to collect bacteria and mold
- The origami design creates a cup-like space from which babies might drink bathwater
Marketed as both a toy and a teether, the Oli & Carol Water Shark is a floating disc with a protruding shark fin. It is made of 100% natural rubber that is colored with natural plant pigments. Like all Oli & Carol toys, there are no holes to trap water. The water shark is about 9” long and textured. It also comes in a Water Lily pad design.
- Flat shape and texture make this an idea teething toy
- Non-toxic and safe for kids
- Designed with no holes to prevent mold growth
- The design is great for teething but not as exciting for imaginary play. Many kids would prefer a whole shark instead of just a fin.
You’ll often find Green Toys with five star reviews…why? Because these are high quality toys that last for years! As a bonus, they are made from 100% recycled plastic milk jugs. Our family has several Green Toys that have survived several kids and still look brand new. The plastic has no BPA, phthalates, PVC or external coatings. This Ferry Boat is a floating boat with cargo space, a slide out ramp and two cars. Kids will love floating this ferry boat in their bath and driving around their favorite character toys.
- Environmentally responsible, 100% recycled plastic
- Non-toxic containing no BPA, phthalates, PVD or external coatings
- Easy to drain out water and dishwasher safe
- Large size and good value
- Water can get in the bottom of the boat. However, it can be taken completely apart and popped in the dishwasher.
Why Do You Need Non Toxic Bath Toys?
Making a decision to conscientiously purchase non-toxic bath toys will give you peace of mind when your child is bathing with and/or chewing on their toys. An additional benefit is that non-toxic toys are generally more eco-friendly and are better for the earth (and your children’s future).
Understanding what makes a bath toy non-toxic might be confusing at first, but with some basic knowledge you can feel empowered to make smart purchases.
When it comes to bath toys, you’ll want to avoid toys that contain:
PVC and Phthalates
Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) is a soft flexible plastic that contains dangerous chemical additives including lead, cadmium, organotins and phthalates. Over time, the additives can leach out and harm children.
Phthalates are often the chemical “vehicle” used to add a fragrance to products. They are hormone disrupters that have many negative repercussions including a higher risk of certain cancers and exacerbated asthma and allergies in kids. Basically anything that smells artificially has a high likelihood of containing phthalates.
Bisphenol A (BPA) is a chemical often used in bath toys. It is used to make transparent plastics. This chemical mimics the hormone estrogen and is an endocrine disrupter. It has been linked to breast cancer, female infertility, prostate cancer and obesity. It is illegal in the USA to use BPA in baby products for eating, but it can still be used in toys.
Luckily, there are many non-toxic toy options that are great for bathtime. Knowing what to avoid is half of the battle.
5 Things To Look For In A Good Non Toxic Bath Toy
When purchasing non-toxic bath toys, avoid toys that:
- Contain PVC, Phthalates, and/or BPA
- Have holes or openings that could allow the toy to fill with water and develop mold
Look for toys:
- Made with 100% natural rubber (great for water use and non-toxic)
- Colored with natural dyes
- In shapes that promote imaginary play
The Final Word
Making purchases that will will positively impact your child’s health is so empowering. A better understanding of which chemicals and products are safe for our kids as well as the large variety of non-toxic bath toys available makes it much easier to make bathtime healthier and more entertaining.
Our overall choice for the best non-toxic bath toy goes to the adorable and well reviewed HEVEA Natural Rubber Whale and Turtle Bath Toy Set.
Make sure to purchase a variety of non-toxic bath toys and see which ones you and your child love the best!