Best Wet Bags for Cloth Diapers – a guide for moms!
You’ve made the big decision to cloth diaper. You’ve researched and purchased the correct number of adorable diapers and are ready for baby to come. But…wait! What are you going to do with diapers once they are dirty?
With so many different products out you might be puzzled about what to buy for the times when, ahem, you don’t want to be thinking about or touching those cute diapers. One great solution for on-the-go or at home is a wet bag.
Wet bags are the fabric equivalent of a diaper pail. The beauty of using a wet bag for dirty cloth diapers is they can (usually) be thrown right in the wash with your diapers. No need to scrub down the diaper pail with cleaning wipes!
We’ve searched high and low for the top 8 wet bags for cloth diapers. Not only are these wet bags adorable, they are also made of high-quality, waterproof fabrics to keep the diaper mess and smell inside (where it belongs!).
Read on to find the best wet bag for cloth diapers.
- TL:DR (too long, didn’t read)
- The Top 8 Wet Bags for Cloth Diapers
- What Is A Wet Bag And Why Do You Need One?
- 4 Things To Look For In A Good Wet Bag for Cloth Diapers
- The Final Word on the Best Wet Bag for Cloth Diapers
Note: this blog post probably contains affiliate links, which means we may receive small commissions from purchases made through links in this post (at NO extra cost to you). You can read our full disclosure for more information.
The Top 8 Wet Bags for Cloth Diapers
Even though this wet bag is a mini size, at 11.5”x 8.75” (slightly larger than a piece of paper) it is large enough to hold 3-4 dirty cloth diapers. The Thirsties Mini Wet Bags come in 10 different adorable fabrics, have a waterproof TPU interior to prevent leaking and wicking and a strong zipper closure to keep the diapers inside.
Made of 100% polyester with a waterproof urethane coating, the Thirsties Mini Wet Bag can be washed on hot in the washing machine and dried on low.
- Machine washable and dryable
- Waterproof TPU interior
- Strong zipper
- Snap Handle
- Smaller size
- Only one compartment
This larger version of the Thirsties wet bag measures 16” x 14” and can easily fit 8 soiled cloth diapers. The Deluxe wet diaper bag is made of 100% polyester with a waterproof urethane coating and comes in 12 of the cutest fabrics. The waterproof TPU interior will help prevent leaks and the strong zipper keeps diapers and the odor inside. This is a great size if you have more than one child in cloth diapers or are away from home for a full day.
The manufacturer recommends that you wash your Thirsties wet diaper bags with your diapers, making it super easy!
- Large size can fit 8 cloth diapers
- Machine Washable/Dryable
- Waterproof TPU Interior
- Strong Zipper
- Snap Handle
- Only one compartment
This handy bag includes an extra front mesh “dry” pocket that you can use to store clean cloth diapers (or anything else you’d like!). The main compartment of the Thirsties Wet Dry Bag is 100% polyester with a waterproof urethane coating. Inside a waterproof TPU fabric prevents dirty diapers from leaking out of the bag.
The Wet Dry Bag comes in 9 different fabrics, measures 13.5” x 15” and can fit around 6 size one diapers or 8 newborn diapers. It can be washed in hot water in your washing machine and should be dried on low. Reviewers mention how well it washes up and how long the Thirsties Wet Dry Bag has lasted.
- Waterproof coating on the outside and inside compartment
- Extra mesh pocket for storing clean diapers
- Medium size can fit 6 cloth diapers
- Washes well (Machine washable) and holds up well to use
- Less fabric options
Alvababy Wet Dry Bags include two 11.5” x 14” bags that each have two zippered waterproof compartments. The separate compartments make it easy to hold your clean cloth diapers and the soiled ones.
These large bags are made from waterproof 100% polyester and can hold between 5-7 diapers. They come in 12 coordinating fabrics and include a useful snap handle that can be attached to a diaper bag or a stroller.
Alvababy offers a one year no-risk guarantee. If you have any problem with the product, you can get a replacement or a refund. These wet dry bags can be machine washed, but the water temperature needs to be less than 86 degrees F to prevent the PUL from de-laminating.
- Includes two wet bags
- Has two zippered waterproof compartments
- Can hold both clean and dirty cloth diapers
- 1 year guarantee
- can’t wash with hot water
Bumkins bags hands-down have the cutest fabric options. You can choose from Disney, Hello Kitty!, Harry Potter, Nintendo and 8 other stylish prints. Measuring at 12” x 14” and crafted from 100% polyester with waterproof TPU embedded into the fabric, the signature Bumkins material is single ply construction with no cotton layer, which they claim “means stains and smells don’t stick to your bag.” These bags are quick drying and include a snap handle for easy transport.
They can hold around 6 cloth diapers and have heat sealed zippers to keep the mess and smell inside the bag.
Bumkins bags are machine washable (turn inside out!), but hang drying is recommended.
- Many unique fabric options (you’ll WANT to carry these wet bags!)
- Single Ply Construction to prevent mold growth and smells
- Heat Sealed Zippers to keep liquid and smell inside bag
- Machine Washable
- Medium Size: can hold 6 cloth diapers
- Can only hang to dry
- Size may not work for multiple children in diapers
Itzy Ritzy’s wet bag measures 11”x 14” and comes in 12 different prints. It has 100% cotton exterior and PUL waterproof fabric interior. This wet bag only has one zippered compartment but the heat seal and strong zipper will help keep the mess and smell inside the bag. Itzy Ritzy wet bags are machine washable in cold water only and should be line dried.
This wet bag is medium sized and should be able to hold around 6 cloth diapers. This company is eco-friendly and ensures that their wet bags are BPA-free, PVC-Free and lead free.
- Can only be washed in cold water and line dried. This means they might not wash well with your diapers and/or stains might not come out very easily.
This wet bag has a unique “half-moon” design which means it can hold quite a few more diapers! Measuring 15” x 12” and 36” around, this giant bag can hold 15+ soiled cloth diapers and 15 inserts.
The Kanga Care Wet Bag comes in 38 different prints. The outer fabric is soft, brushed polyester and inside is a water resistant polyester TPU to help keep liquid and smell inside. The industrial zipper and industrial strap make it sturdy enough to handle a large number of cloth diapers. This bag can be washed with your diapers but should be dried on low or hang dried.
- Might be too big for your needs
- Some reviewers have reported seams coming apart after use
The Skip Hop Wet Dry bag measures 12”x15” and can hold between 9-10 cloth diapers. It has two zippered compartments; an exterior mesh pocket for dry items and a large interior pocket that is PEVA lined to prevent leaks. PEVA (polyethylene vinyl acetate) is a non-chlorinated vinyl.
This wet dry bag comes in four different black and white/gray patterns and has a snap strap so it can be hung on a stroller, diaper bag, hook or doorknob.
- Two pockets
- Stylish design
- Outer fabric is easy to wipe clean
- Handy Strap
- Limited fabric choices
What Is A Wet Bag And Why Do You Need One?
A wet bag is used for holding soiled cloth diapers. They can be used when traveling OR used in place of a diaper pail. The beauty of using a wet bag instead of a diaper pail is that you can throw it in the wash when you are washing your diapers.
Whether you use it at home or on-the-go, we recommend purchasing at least two wet bags so you can have one to use while the other one is being washed.
4 Things To Look For In A Good Wet Bag for Cloth Diapers
- Size: Wet bags come in many different sizes. Consider how long you are usually away from home, as well as if you have or will have more than one child in cloth diapers at the same time. If you are hardly away from home and only have one baby in diapers, you could definitely choose a smaller or “mini” bag. If you are planning to use your wet bag in place of a diaper pail, you will probably want to purchase the largest one available OR have several wet bags available for rotation and washing.
- Compartments: If you are interested in carrying both clean and soiled cloth diapers in the same wet bag, be sure to purchase a wet bag with two separate zippered compartments (often called a wet dry bag).
- Fabric: All wet bags will have waterproof fabric of some sort. Most often you will see PUL or Polyurethane laminate. This is a hybrid fabric made by heat laminating a cloth fabric on one or both sides with a thin film of polyurethane plastic. A double layer of fabric/PUL might prevent leaking or wicking but other options like PEVA work equally as well. If you want a wet bag that you will most often be wiping clean, make sure to choose one that has a waterproof outer layer (not cotton).
- Washability: You will want to handle your wet bag as little a possible once you’ve put soiled diapers in it. Look for a bag that can be washed WITH your dirty diapers and make it easier for yourself. Generally if the bag can be washed in warm or hot water, you will more easily be able to wash it with your diapers and keep it free of stains and smells.
The Final Word on the Best Wet Bag for Cloth Diapers
If you’re cloth diapering, a great wet bag can make a huge difference. Not only will a wet bag make it easier to be out-and-about, it will also minimize some of the biggest complaints about cloth diapering: the smell and the clean-up.
If you are looking for a wet bag to use in place of a diaper pail, we highly recommend the Kanga Care Wet Bag. It’s gigantic size and sturdy construction will make it easy to tote around and get clean.
For a wet bag to use on the go, our top picks are Thirsties wet dry bag and Bumkins waterproof wet bag. Thirsties will let you safely carry both clean and soiled cloth diapers. And Bumkins’ cute fabrics make this a bag you’ll actually want to carry around!
Don’t forget to purchase at least two wet bags so you always have one handy while the other one is washing. Plus, it gives you a great excuse to try out a few of different options.