Don’t you just love lactation smoothie recipes?
Lactation smoothies are so quick and easy to make for a healthy breakfast (or lunch, or midnight snack) that keeps you full for a long time AND help supports a healthy milk supply.
I love the versatility of smoothies – you can swap out almost any of the ingredients and still end up with something that tastes great and fills you up. This is great if you’ve run out of banana, but you still have berries. You can also change up the ingredients to suit the texture you’re craving. Want dreamy and creamy? Add avocado, or even cream cheese! Want a tropical slushy? Add extra ice and hold the dairy.
You can easily adapt a smoothie for your dietary requirements too – it doesn’t matter if you are:
- low carb
You can also boost your smoothie with things like hidden vegetables, protein powder or collagen powder or other supplements. So your smoothie is even better for you!
This smoothie is my personal favorite: the best lactation smoothie recipe I’ve tried 🙂 It’s simple, delicious, creamy, tart and packed with mango flavor. Tastes like the summer beach in a glass.
Note: this blog post probably contains affiliate links, which means we may receive small commissions from purchases made through links in this post (at NO extra cost to you). You can read our full disclosure for more information.
Can I Drink Lactation Smoothies While Pregnant?
You can start drinking lactation smoothies whenever you like.
Basically, a lactation smoothie is a healthy smoothie with added milk boosting ingredients. Smoothies are so adaptable, if you don’t want to include one ingredient, it’s easy to substitute.
I personally drank lactation smoothies while pregnant, however, I left out the Brewer’s Yeast as it has a bit of an after taste (and since I wasn’t breastfeeding yet, I didn’t need it.)
Lactation Smoothie Freezer Packs
I love make ahead meals. My freezer sure gets a work out when it comes to preparing for postpartum too… and one of my favorite things to freeze are smoothie packs!
Smoothie packs are so convenient:
- you buy all the ingredients you need in bulk (so you don’t go to make your smoothie one morning and find out you ate the last banana yesterday)
- you make your packs and use up all your perishable ingredients (no waste!)
- all you need to do is add liquid, blend and you’ve got an instant, perfectly frosty smoothie for breakfast or for a snack!
You can make this mango lactation smoothie into a freezer pack really easily by adding all ingredients (except the liquids) into ziploc sandwich bags. Stack them as flat as possible in your freezer and then when you’re ready to whizz them up, just break the ingredients up into your blender and add liquids. Blend and you’re good to go!
What’s in the best lactation smoothie:
Flax Meal – full of essential fatty acids and phytoestrogens, it’s thought that flax seeds can help increase your milk supply. You won’t taste them in a smoothie, but they’ll help make it thick and creamy.
Greek Yoghurt – my favorite kind of yoghurt! Greek yoghurt is high in protein and lower in lactose. It even contains a good whack of calcium… oh and it tastes delicious and makes your smoothie creamy!
Brewer’s Yeast (Debittered) – optional! A well known galactagogue (foods that increase milk supply) you can add Brewer’s Yeast into this smoothie once your baby has arrived. The best kind to get is this one, which has been ‘debittered’ as it has a bit of an aftertaste.
These ingredients (plus a few more) when mixed together make a decadent and delicious and creamy summery smoothie that you’ll be happy to enjoy any time of the year.
- 1 fresh mango (or 1 cup frozen mango chunks)
- 1/2 cup Greek Yoghurt (or coconut yoghurt)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (to taste - add more if you want more tang)
- 1/2 frozen banana, sliced
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 1 tablespoon debittered Brewer's Yeast (optional)
- Add all ingredients into a high-powered blender and blend for 1 minute.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy.
This makes a delicious, thick and creamy, sweet and tangy mango smoothie.
More Reading on Breastfeeding and Milk Supply
- Pumpkin Spice Lactation Smoothie The Ultimate Fall Smoothie
- Lactation Smoothie Recipes Milk Boosting Smoothies for New Moms
- Avocado Lactation Smoothie
- Blueberry Lactation Smoothie
- Chocolate Lactation Smoothie
- 19 Delicious Lactation Smoothies to Boost Your Milk Supply
- 22 Delicious Lactation Cookie Recipes to Increase Your Milk Supply
- 6 Breastfeeding Tips to Increase Your Milk Supply
- 31 No Fuss Healthy Snacks for Breastfeeding Moms
- The Ultimate Breastfeeding Class