Over the last few years I’ve been collecting lactation smoothie recipes. Smoothies are amazing for pregnant and breastfeeding moms because of their versatility and how easy it is to jam pack them with nutrition boosting extras like avocado, protein powder, and lactation boosting galactagogues, like Brewer’s Yeast.
It’s so quick and easy to make a lactation smoothie that is delicious, filling, and tailored to your needs and tastes.
Pregnant? Skip the Brewer’s Yeast and add extra protein or collagen powder.
Breastfeeding? Add any of a range of milk boosting ingredients.
Breastfeeding a baby with a dairy intolerance? Substitute non-dairy ingredients.
Hate bananas? Add half an avocado and a teaspoon of your choice of sweetener instead.
Lactation Smoothie Recipes
I’ve been working on perfecting some lactation smoothie recipes listed below in alphabetical order. Scroll down for even more helpful resources on breastfeeding your baby.
Avocado Lactation Smoothie – with raspberry and vanilla, this thick and creamy smoothie is very decadent, filling and delicious.
Blueberry Lactation Smoothie – this blueberry flavored smoothie is delicious, smooth, thick and creamy. Like dessert in a bowl, only healthier, it’s filling and delicious.
Pumpkin Spice Lactation Smoothie – the ultimate fall smoothie flavor!
But, do lactation smoothies really work to boost your milk supply? According to the Milk Meg (Lactation Consultant, Speaker, and Author):
It’s important to remember… that if you notice an increase in supply from cookies (or smoothies) then you already had a good supply…you just needed a bit of a boost. If you have true, chronic low supply then cookies will do NOTHING to increase it!
FIRST get some help from an IBCLC or volunteer breastfeeding counsellor and THEN eat your cookies!
Even if you don’t have issues with low milk supply, lactation smoothies are a great way to pack a nutritional punch and fight off the breastfeeding hungers.
Note: this blog post probably contains affiliate links, which means we may receive small commissions from purchases made through links in this post (at NO extra cost to you). You can read our full disclosure for more information.
Milk Boosting Lactation Smoothie Ingredients
Some of my favorite smoothie ingredients include:
- avocado – good healthy plant-based fats. Make your smoothie very thick and creamy without an aftertaste. Avocados are also very calorie-dense and will help keep you full for longer.
- oatmeal – a favorite milk boosting ingredient, rolled oats are my favorite to add to a smoothie. They add a bit of creamy texture and body to the smoothie without significantly impacting the flavor. You can also leave them overnight to absorb your smoothie liquids for an even creamier smoothie.
- chia seeds – if you’re going for an overnight oats smoothie, why not add chia seeds too? Chia seeds are great at thickening your smoothie, especially when left in liquids overnight. They are also packed full of nutrients like Omega 3!
- frozen berries – for sweetness, you can’t go past a handful of berries in your smoothie. Raspberries or strawberries are my favorite kinds and full of Vitamin C and antioxidants. Most berries are also low carb, so they won’t have a big impact on your blood sugar. One thing to watch out for – I’ve found that a berry/cocoa combo sounds great but tastes awful! Something about it brings out the bitterness.
Recommended Lactation Smoothie Recipe Needs
More Reading On Increasing Your Milk Supply
There are more than just lactation smoothie recipes out there to help support your milk supply – check out our posts on lactation smoothies, cookies and basic breastfeeding tips to increase your milk supply.
- 19 Delicious Lactation Smoothies to Boost Your Milk Supply
- 22 Delicious Lactation Cookie Recipes to Increase Your Milk Supply
- 6 Breastfeeding Tips to Increase Your Milk Supply
More on Breastfeeding Successfully
Breastfeeding is natural – but it’s not always easy. Learning how to breastfeed successfully takes time and adjusting for both mom and baby! Learn what you can do to set yourself up for a successful breastfeeding journey.
- Breastfeeding a Newborn: 8 Crucial Tips for the First 24 Hours
- 9 Tips to Make Night Feeding Baby Easier (Whether You’re Breastfeeding, Bottle Feeding or Expressing!)
- Breastfeeding Station 101: How to Set Yourself Up for Breastfeeding Success
- 35 Essential Breastfeeding Tips for New Moms
- Ultimate Guide to Breastfeeding