Best nursing cover for new breastfeeding moms.
Nursing covers have come a long way since the time when moms threw a baby blanket over their shoulder and hoped for the best. For breastfeeding moms, nursing covers can reduce distraction and provide shade for babies as well as give privacy to moms who wish to nurse discretely.
New styles and fabrics make nursing covers more comfortable for both mom and baby. And let’s face it, when you are wrestling with a hungry baby in a public place the last thing you should have to worry about is if your cover is working!
We’ve scoured the internet for the five best nursing covers. These options are stylish, comfortable, and affordable.
- The Top 5 Best Nursing Covers
- What Is A Nursing Cover And Why Do You Need One?
- The Different Types of Nursing Covers
- 4 Things To Look For In A Good Nursing Cover
- The Final Word
- You Might Also Like
Note: this blog post probably contains affiliate links, which means we may receive small commissions from purchases made through links in this post (at NO extra cost to you). You can read our full disclosure for more information.
The Top 5 Best Nursing Covers
The Boppy Nursing Scarf looks like a fashionable infinity scarf when it isn’t being used as a nursing cover. It is made of “ultra-soft breathable fabric” that looks similar to a light cardigan. The Boppy scarf is machine washable and has a small mesh panel that allows mothers to see their baby while nursing. One great feature of this nursing cover is that it has 360 degree coverage so you don’t have to worry about anything showing. It comes in four different colors. Reviewers noted that it the fabric is lightweight and comfortable even on hot days.
aden + anais is known for their high quality super soft blankets. Their 6-in-1 stretchy cover is made of the same soft and stretchy fabric that their fanslove. This cover can be used for breastfeeding, as a shopping cart or car seat cover, to cover a baby swing or high chair and can be worn by mom as an infinity scarf. It comes in three neutral fabrics and is machine washable. Reviewers said that the fabric stands up well in the wash, but might be too thick for breastfeeding in hot weather. Some reviewers also mentioned that it doesn’t provide enough coverage for plus-sized breastfeeding moms.
The Bamboobies Nursing Cover is also wearable, but is styled like a shawl. It can be twisted into a scarf and also draped as a car seatcover. Made of a rayon/spandex blend, the Bamboobies cover is machine washable and lightweight. It promises UPF protection of 50+ to keep your baby protected when out in the sun. This nursing cover comes in two different styles (poncho or open kimono) and four stylish colors. Some reviewers mentioned that the shorter side of the asymmetrical poncho shows too much skin if you plan to nurse by pulling your shirt up. Several people said this “one size fits most” cover isn’t the best option for plus-size mothers.
The Copper Pearl 5-in-1 nursing cover comes in seven adorable fabric options. This multi-use product can be used as a nursing cover or infinity scarf for mom or to cover shopping carts, car seats and high chairs for baby. It is made of a rayon blend stretch fabric and is machine washable. The Copper Pearl nursing cover provides 360 degree coverage but is made of a light enough fabric that it should help baby stay comfortable underneath. Reviewers mentioned that the style might not be ideal for first time moms who need to see the baby while getting them latched.
The Bebe Au Lait Nursing Cover is more classically styled nursing cover that resembles an apron. It attaches to mom with a strap around her neck, but has a “Rig flex” wired neckline that holds the cover open for mom to see her baby underneath. This nursing cover is made of 100% cotton that is breathable, soft and machine washable. It measures 36” wide by 30” long and has two handy internal terry cloth pockets that can be used to hold things or wipe up baby. The Bebe Au Lait comes in four different stylish fabrics.
What Is A Nursing Cover And Why Do You Need One?
A nursing cover is a fabric wrapper that works to
- allow for privacy when breastfeeding and/or
- shelter your baby from distractions and the elements while they nurse.
If you plan to breastfeed in public and want something that will provide coverage while latching and/or feeding, a nursing cover is a wonderful accessory to have on hand.
Nursing covers can help you feel more comfortable as you get used to the sometimes difficult process of adjusting clothing and helping your baby latch. When you are breastfeeding in a new or different location, a nursing cover can give you the privacy you need to get your baby situated.
Another benefit of nursing covers is that they help minimize distractions for babies while feeding. Especially if you are in an unusual place, your baby might want to look around more than drink. A cover can also protect your baby from the sun, heat or cold by providing shade and coverage.
The Different Types of Nursing Covers
When deciding on which nursing cover you want to purchase, there are several factors to consider.
- Do you want it to be wearable? If you enjoy accessorizing and want to add a piece that is both useful and stylish, you can choose a nursing cover that doubles as a scarf or shawl. (Boppy Infinity Nursing Scarf, aden + anais multi-use cover, Bamboobies Nursing Poncho, Copper Pearl Nursing Cover)
- Would it be helpful to have one product that serves several purposes? If you are on a budget but want a product that can also serve as a carseat cover or to protect baby from germs on a shopping cart, choose a nursing cover that is specifically designed for many uses. (Though you’re probably best to keep your nursing cover away from the shopping carts right now) (Boppy Infinity Nursing Scarf, aden + anais multi-use cover, Bamboobies Nursing Poncho, Copper Pearl Nursing Cover.)
- Will you feel more comfortable with full coverage? Some nursing covers will cover you from all sides which is especially helpful if you aren’t using nursing friendly clothing. If you are undecided, I would definitely recommend going with a cover that has 360 degree coverage. (Boppy Infinity Nursing Scarf, aden+ anais cover, Copper Pearl Nursing Cover)
- Do you live somewhere that is hot and/or humid? The last thing you want to do is cover baby in a non-breathable tent while they try to eat. All of the products in this top five nursing cover post say they are breathable, but three stand out as being more comfortable for nursing in very hot environments. (Boppy Infinity Nursing Scarf, Copper Pearl, Bebe Au Lait).
- Do you prefer to see baby while you are nursing? Are you a first time mom? Are you using a nipple shield? Nursing can be tricky enough when your vision is unobscured. If you are a first time mom or simply struggle with getting your babies latched, or you’re using a nipple shield, a cover that allows for easy viewing of your baby will make nursing in public much less stressful. (Boppy Infinity Nursing Scarf, Bebe Au Lait Nursing Cover).
4 Things To Look For In A Good Nursing Cover
If you are narrowing down your choices for the perfect nursing cover, look for these features.
- Fabric Type: Choose a fabric that is compatible with the weather where you plan to breastfeed.
- Coverage: Decide on how much coverage you need to feel comfortable nursing.
- Style: Choose a style and pattern that you would most likely wear or pick a cover that you can easily transport in your diaper bag.
- Multi-Use: Especially if you are working on a tight budget, choose a nursing cover that can serve you in several different ways.
The Final Word
A nursing cover is a wonderful product you should purchase if you plan to nurse in public. They are especially useful for first time moms who are getting the hang of breastfeeding and/or mothers who are concerned about modesty while breastfeeding.
Since they are compact, budget friendly and can be used as more than just a nursing cover, you will definitely want to add a nursing cover (or two!) to your baby registry.
If you are a first time mom, the Bebe Au Lait or Boppy Infinity Scarf covers will allow you to see and latch baby more easily. The Copper Pearl nursing cover offers many fashionable fabric options and is multi-use, making it our other top choice nursing cover. Any of these top five nursing covers will be a great accessory that will help you navigate nursing in public like a pro.