Are you worried that breastfeeding won’t work for you?
That you won’t make enough milk for your baby (and how do you even know – right?)
Or that it’ll hurt like crazy? (thanks, friends, for the horror stories… cracked nipples do NOT sound like my idea of fun.)
Breastfeeding might be natural, but it certainly doesn’t come easy for most moms – and when you’re new and have no clue what you’re doing, it can be hard to battle through the uncertainty and discomfort.
Seeking help when you’re in the thick of it is a great idea, but it can also be costly… and let’s be real, it most likely requires you to leave the house with a fussy newborn which can feel as difficult as climbing a mountain.
The best idea is to prepare as much as you can before you start breastfeeding. That’s where the Ultimate Breastfeeding Class by Milkology comes in.
It won’t make you an expert (only experience can do that), but it will help you go from clueless to clued up in just 90 minutes in the comfort of your own home.
Note: this blog post probably contains affiliate links, which means we may receive small commissions from purchases made through links in this post (at NO extra cost to you). You can read our full disclosure for more information.
The Ultimate Breastfeeding Course – Pros and Cons At a Glance
What is The Ultimate Breastfeeding Course by Milkology and Why Do You Need It?
The Ultimate Breastfeeding Course is a detailed and informative video course that teaches what a new (or expecting) mom needs to know when starting out breastfeeding.
Covering topics like:
- the benefits of breastfeeding (for mom and baby)
- how to master your milk supply
- what to expect in the first month… and beyond
- plus, where to find support
It is the perfect resource for new and expecting moms who plan to breastfeed their babies.
The fact that it’s all video means you can watch it at home in your pjs, on the bus, while waiting for your Ob appointment, or even while working out!
Who Created The Course?
Stacey Stewart is the founder of Milkology and the creator of the Ultimate Breastfeeding Course. She is a CAPPA (Childbirth and Postpartum Professional Association) Certified Lactation Educator.
With a background (and a Master’s degree) in Teaching, Stacey combined her love of education and breastfeeding to create this amazing course.
Yes, she’s got cred!
Who Is This Course For?
If you’re planning to breastfeed or even if you’re still on the fence, you need this course.
Expectant moms will get the most out of the course as you’ll learn what to expect before your baby arrives. The course is at your fingertips for life so you can rewatch any modules you feel like you need to once your baby is here.
If you’ve already had your baby and are at the early stages of your breastfeeding journey, I still recommend you grab it! It’s only 90 minutes – you can easily get through it in a few nursing sessions.
7 Reasons You Should Take this Course If You Plan to Breastfeed
- The Course Starts with a Solid Foundation of The Properties of Breastmilk and the Benefits to Baby, Mom and Society – some days breastfeeding can be rough, and on those days it’s good to have a clear ‘why’ behind your reasons to breastfeed. There are some amazing benefits to breastfeeding – including being protective against many health conditions for both mom and baby.
- You’ll Learn How Your Milk Supply Works – there’s nothing worse than stressing over whether you’re making enough milk for your baby… especially if baby is cluster feeding and always seems hungry! You’ll learn that this is just how baby helps your body to make enough milk – but you’ll also learn the signs that means baby really isn’t getting enough so you can seek help.
- You’ll Learn How to Master Your Milk Supply – low supply, high supply, both can be problematic for new moms and newborns learning how to breastfeed. You’ll learn how to tell if you have one or the other and what you can do to master your supply and get it just right for your baby.
- It’s a Good First Step to Learning How to Breastfeed – you could chase down answers all over the internet as questions occur to you, but getting a solid grounding in all things breastfeeding will help you know what’s normal and will give you a first port of call if you’re experiencing issues.
- It Prepares You For Successful Breastfeeding – a huge part of being successful at breastfeeding is education. This course helps you get educated and provides you with a great resource to help you deal with any issues that may arise in your breastfeeding journey.
- The Course is Presented by an Actual Teacher – it’s a joy to watch and is presented in an entertaining and engaging way with plenty of videos and images. The course is organized very logically, with everything you need to know and has zero fluff to it – you don’t need to sit through hours of pedantic explanations or giggling examples! – it’s direct and to the point.
- It’s Inexpensive – this course is so inexpensive, it’s basically a no-brainer buy: if you want to learn how to breastfeed, grab it!
Why I’m Taking the Milkology Ultimate Breastfeeding Course (Even Though I Breastfed My First for 28 Months)
What?! I breastfed my first baby for over 2 years and I’m still taking this course? What gives?
I’ll tell you:
Breastfeeding becomes way way easier as your baby gets older. To the point where you can get really lazy about things like making sure you’re positioned optimally and watching that they’re latching correctly – you just don’t need to worry about that anymore.
I need a refresher on what it’s like to breastfeed a newborn and pay attention to all those things again.
Sneak Peak Inside the Ultimate Breastfeeding Course by Milkology!
There are 5 modules and 13 (punchy and to the point) videos in the course… and there’s also several bonuses.
The Milkology Course Curriculum
What will you learn in the Ultimate Breastfeeding Course?
Module 1 – The Benefits of Breastfeeding
The first module is a foundational one – all about the benefits of breastfeeding. You’ll learn:
- The properties of breast milk – a fascinating insight into what’s actually in breast milk (and why it’s impossible for baby formula to completely match it).
- The benefits for baby – from maternal antibodies to lowering SIDS risk, you’ll learn all about just why breast milk is so good for babies and how it can help prevent several health conditions.
- The benefits for mom – there are loads of benefits for mom’s who breastfeed, from easier postpartum weight loss (if you’re one of the lucky ones! – boo, I didn’t get this) to reduced risk of breast cancer. It’s worth knowing that it’s not just all about baby – there’s big benefits for mom too!
- Benefits for family and the community – if you thought breastfeeding only affected you and baby, you’ll learn some ways it can benefit your family and the world!
Module 2 – Understand the Process
Now that you’re aware of the benefits of breast milk, it’s time to dig into the details of how our bodies actually make milk and what we need to do to stay on top of our supply.
- Lactation Explained – in this video, Stacey explains how the lactation process really works. This is breastfeeding 101. You’ll learn: how often babies should feed, the size of your baby’s stomach, about colostrum and the transition to mature milk, engorgement and about your milk let down.
- Master Your Milk Supply – this video outlines some essential principles to successfully breastfeeding your baby including feeding on demand and not falling into the trap of clock-watching or trying to fit baby to a schedule. As Stacey reminds us: you can’t overfeed a breastfed baby! There’s also plenty of helpful tips on increasing your supply if you feel like your supply is low.
Module 3 – Technique
In this module, you’ll learn the art of positioning and latching your baby as well as expressing and storing breast milk.
- Latching and Positioning – this is the real guts of breastfeeding and something that’s hard to learn before you have your baby in your arms. However, it is helpful to learn what a correct latch should look and feel like as well as knowing some good positions for breastfeeding before you begin. This video shows real babies latching and also includes lots of diagrams to help guide you to a good latch and position.
- Expression and Storage – the nuts and bolts of expressing your own breast milk, whether by hand or with a pump. This video also goes over reasons why you might need or want to express as well as how to safely store and thaw your expressed milk for later use.
Module 4 – What to Expect…
The hardest thing about pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding is not knowing what to expect and worrying about the unknown. This module teaches you what to expect when breastfeeding your newborn.
- Diaper Output and Weight – because you can’t measure how much milk baby is taking (unlike with formula feeding, or exclusive pumping), breastfeeding moms sometimes feel unsure if their baby is getting enough. This lesson teaches you how to know for sure that your baby is getting enough breast milk – diaper output and weight gain.
- The First Month – you must watch this before your baby is born! This lesson contains everything you need to know about breastfeeding your baby soon after birth to common problems you’ll experience in the first few weeks of breastfeeding. The first month is the hardest… but if you’re prepared, you’ll make it through to the other side successfully!
- The Second Month and Beyond – once you’ve made it through the first month, things get easier and you’ll start to find your groove. This lesson includes everything you’ll be thinking about up until the toddler years and weaning (including introducing a bottle and solids.)
Module 5 – Find Support and Get Prepared
Support is so important for new moms – birth is a big deal and adjusting to a new baby, while learning new skills like breastfeeding is no cake walk.
- Find Your Support Network – this lesson talks about where to find support in your day to day life and some important considerations to make when choosing your health care options.
- Preparing for Success – if you want to successfully breastfeed, you’ll need to get prepared! Many women choosing to breastfeed are the first in their families to do so which can mean fielding off well-meaning enquiries about whether your breastfed baby is ok (because he’s not behaving like a formula fed baby.) In this lesson, you’ll learn a range of things you can do to help prepare yourself and your family for successful breastfeeding.
And there’s bonuses!!
You’ll also get (as part of the course):
- The Little Black Book of Breastfeeding Secrets
- The Ultimate Troubleshooting Guide: Common Breastfeeding Issues
- Breastfeeding Milestone Photo Cards
- Exclusive Discounts to breastfeeding related products like nursing covers, nursing pads and lactation cookies!
Is The Ultimate Breastfeeding Course by Milkology Right For You?
The Ultimate Breastfeeding Course is an enjoyable, entertaining and informative watch designed to help you succeed with your breastfeeding goals. The price is right, the information is spot on and the creator of the course is certified and experienced.
If you’ve decided to breastfeed, or are considering it, then this course is right for you.