Looking for the best burp cloths for your baby?
Burp cloths might not be high on your list of desired baby products…but they are probably one of the items you will use the most in the first year of your baby’s life.
These absorbent little cloths come in handy while breastfeeding, burping and for general baby clean-up. When you’re wiping your baby’s soft and sensitive skin you’ll want to have burp cloths made out of the best material.
We want to make choosing the best burp cloths for your baby simple. We looked at many online options and narrowed the choices down to the top 7 burp cloths. Read on to find out the options and features of the handiest, dandiest burp cloths available.
(and they’re pretty darn cute too.)
- TL:DR (too long, didn't read)
- The Top Baby Burp Cloths
- Benefits of Using a Burp Cloth
- How to Choose the Best Burp Cloth for You
- The Final Word
Note: this blog post probably contains affiliate links, which means we may receive small commissions from purchases made through links in this post (at NO extra cost to you). You can read our full disclosure for more information.
TL:DR (too long, didn’t read)
Short on time? Ultimately, we decided that the Comfy Cubs Muslin Burp Cloths were the best buy because of affordability, size and the ease of keeping the cloths clean. You can check it out here on Amazon.
The Top Baby Burp Cloths
You’ll see multi-layer muslin burp cloths like these from Comfy Cubs everywhere for the simple reason that they work so well.
Muslin is a cotton fabric with a very loose weave that softens the more you wash it. The Comfy Cubs Muslin Burp Cloths measure 10” by 20” and have six layers of muslin to increase absorbency. These burp cloths are plain and come in white, pink or blue so they might score low fashion-wise. However, choosing the white color will allow you to bleach out baby stains like formula and spit-up. Some reviewers mention that once these are spit-up on, they are soaked and can’t be used again so it is a good idea to have several on hand for feedings.
The KeaBabies Organic burp cloths are made with three layers: organic cotton on the outsides and an absorbent layer of fleece in the middle.
They were designed to provide full shoulder coverage for moms and dads at the large size of 21” by 10.5.” The KeaBabies burp cloths come in many different patterns and color combinations. Their design is supposed to help protect parents’ clothes with an absorbent middle layer.
Burt’s Bees is a company known for its natural products and their burp cloths fall in line with their pledge to “nurture your baby naturally.”
Made from organic rib-knit cotton, the Burts Bees Baby Burp Cloths are GOTS certified and have two layers. They aren’t as large as some competitor burp cloths, measuring 16” by 11.8.” They come in many different patterns and colors but can also be purchased in plain white or gray.
Snuggle Stuffs Minky Dot Burp Cloths are on the smaller side at 16.5″x 9”. But what they lack in size they make up for in softness.
If you’ve ever felt minky fabric before you know it is some of the softest material around. The Snuggle Stuffs are all minky (100% polyester) and are machine washable. There are several different colors to choose from. Most reviewers remarked on both their softness and how well they absorb fluid.
Muslin is a loose weave fabric that gets softer the more you wash it, making it perfect for use on baby skin. These measure in at 21” x 10” and appear to be made of several layers of muslin, although the manufacturer doesn’t mention an exact number. Reviewers rave about the absorbency and softness of the Sunshine & Poppy burp cloths as well as their excellent customer service.
The Copper Pearl burp cloths come in a generous 21” x 10” size to help keep mom and dad’s clothing clean and protected.
Similar to the KeaBabies burp cloths, the Copper Pearl burp cloths are three layers, with cotton fabric used on the outside layers and an absorbent fleece layer in the middle. These come in a three-pack with many adorable patterns to choose from.
Aden + Anais was one of the first companies to produce popular patterned muslin blankets. Their Burpy Baby Bib burp cloth can also be used as a bib.
They are made from 100% cotton muslin with four layers for added absorbency. It is the largest burp cloth in this guide and measures 22.5” by 11” but also comes in the smallest pack (2). The Aden + Anais Burpy Baby Bib has snaps to fasten around baby’s neck converting the burp cloth into a useful bib. The multi-usefulness of this product comes with a much higher price tag than other burp cloths.
Benefits of Using a Burp Cloth
When you are feeding your baby, whether by breast or bottle, leaks and spit-up are inevitable. Burp cloths might not be a baby item you’ve worried much about but they have many benefits that make them worth having including:
- Absorbent burp cloths can save you from needing to change both your outfit and your baby’s.
- Burp cloths are made of soft material to prevent irritation of your baby’s sensitive skin.
- Their smaller size makes them easy to stash in a diaper bag for spills and spit-up.
How to Choose the Best Burp Cloth for You
When deciding which burp cloths you want to use with your child, there are several factors to consider including:
- Size – A few inches might not seem like a big deal, but those inches can mean the difference between stopping most or ALL of your baby’s spit-up from running down your shoulder. Generally the larger your burp cloth’s measurements the better chance you’ll have of staying dry. If you are petite, a smaller size might work just fine.
- Shape – Burp cloths come in rectangle or kidney shapes. The kidney shape can help the cloth lay more closely to your body when draped over your shoulder, but the rectangle shape covers more area. The shape of burp cloths is more of a personal preference, so you might want to try one of each type before deciding which you prefer.
- Fabric – The variety of burp cloth fabric means you should be able to find one that both you and your baby prefer. Many people choose muslin for its absorbency and softness, but it is a bit limited when it comes to patterns. Minky is a newer type of fabric for burp cloths. It’s ultra-softness might be worth trying for a fussy baby. And you can’t go too far wrong with 100% cotton. You might want to try one of each type of fabric before settling on your favorite.
- Utility vs. Cuteness – If you have a baby that frequently spits up, the utility of your burp cloth may be more important than how cute the fabric is. White muslin burp cloths can’t be beaten for how well they absorb and how simple they are to keep looking clean. One option is to buy a few “cutesy” burp cloths for when you are out in public and use white muslin burp cloths at home.
The Final Word
Burp cloths are a product that you will use again and again with your baby. Wiping up bottle drool, catching spit-up, and cleaning your baby’s face are all easier and more convenient with soft and absorbent burp cloths.
The Comfy Cubs Muslin Burp Cloths are six layers of soft absorbent muslin and will be the easiest to keep clean when you add a little bleach to your washer. If you are looking for high-quality, inexpensive burp cloths that will stay looking nice they are the best pick of the bunch.
If you want something soft for your baby to snuggle into, the Snuggle Stuffs Minky Burp Cloths are worth a try.
You can’t go wrong with any of these Top 7 Burp Cloths. They all have different benefits and we hope our guide will help you choose the ones that you will be happy to use with your baby.