Best mini crib you can buy for a small space or apartment.
Choosing a bed for your new baby can feel very complicated. Bedside sleeper or Pack-n-play? Crib or Smart crib? Bassinet or co-sleeper?
Now there is another choice in the baby bed market… the mini crib.
What’s a mini crib? Exactly what it sounds like! These tinier versions of a normal crib are more comfortable than a Pack-n-Play with some definite size and style benefits. Mini cribs are an especially good choice for people making a baby nursery in a small space OR people who want to keep their baby nearby without overwhelming master bedroom space.
If you’re interested in a more petite bed option for your petit bebe we researched and found the top 7 mini cribs. These mini cribs have all of the features of standard cribs with a size you and your baby will adore. Read on to find out more about the best mini crib options available.
- TL:DR (too long, didn't read)
- Best Mini Cribs for Apartments
- Babyletto Origami Mini Crib
- Dream on Me Addison Convertible Mini Crib
- Dream on Me Violet Mini Crib
- DaVinci Alpha Mini Rocking Crib
- Emily 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib
- Delta Children Emery Mini Convertible
- Babyletto Gelato 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib
- What Is A Mini Crib And Why You Need One
- The Different Types of Mini Cribs
- 4 Benefits Of Using A Mini Crib
- 5 Things To Look For In A Good Mini Crib
- The Final Word
Note: this blog post probably contains affiliate links, which means we may receive small commissions from purchases made through links in this post (at NO extra cost to you). You can read our full disclosure for more information.
Best Mini Cribs for Apartments
Mini cribs are a great option for an apartment where you might not have enough room for a full size crib. (Though even if you do *technically* have room, a mini crib is an excellent space saving idea anyway!)
The Babyletto Origami Mini Crib is one of the pricier mini crib options but it does have some unique selling points.
The hinged sides mean you can fold the frame of this mini crib flat (like origami…get it?) making it super easy to store long-term or even just move out of the way on a day-to-day basis. It comes in six stylish colors and includes locking caster wheels so you can roll it from room to room. It can be adjusted to two different mattress height settings to keep your baby from being able to climb out. We love that the Babyletto is Greenguard Gold Certified, meaning it has been tested for over 10,000 chemicals and exceeds U.S. CPSC safety standards. This mini crib does come with a 1” mattress pad, but most reviewers recommend purchasing a separate thicker mattress made for mini cribs.
- folds easily for storage
- lots of color options
- on wheels so you can easily move it out of the way
- most reviewers recommend purchasing a separate, thicker mattress
The Dream on Me Addison mini crib is convertible…meaning as your baby grows you can change it into a mini day bed, and then a twin size bed.
It comes in six different finishes and has a 3-position adjustable mattress height setting. This mini crib is also Greenguard certified. It comes with a 1” mattress pad that many reviewers say is not comfortable for baby. Most users recommended purchasing a separate mini crib mattress. A few reviewers mentioned that the crib slats were far enough apart that their babies legs would sometimes get stuck between them. Many also found that parts are not labeled, making the assembly of the Dream on Me Addison quite difficult.
- six different finish options
- 3 mattress height positions
- converts into a mini day bed and twin size bed
- users recommend purchasing a separate mini crib mattress
- some reviewers found baby would sometimes get stuck in between the crib slats
- difficult to assemble
The Dream on Me Violet Mini Crib also converts into a mini daybed and twin size bed (you must purchase the twin bed rails separately).
It has a funky asymetrical wave design that makes it unique and very eye catching. There are six different finishes/colors to choose from and you can adjust the mattress height to 3 different positions. Although it comes with a standard 1” mattress pad, reviewers recommend purchasing a thicker mini-crib mattress. Like the other Dream on Me brand mini crib, reviewers mention that the included instructions are difficult to follow.
- funky wave design
- six different colors and finishes to choose from
- 3 height positions for the mattress
- reviewers recommend purchasing a separate thicker mini crib mattress
- assembly instructions are difficult to follow
The DaVinci Alpha mini crib is the only mini crib in our top 7 mini crib review that can be used as a rocker.
This mini crib can be placed directly on its curved bottom if you want to have the option of rocking your baby or you can attach included wheels. It comes in six different finishes and has 3 adjustable mattress positions to keep your baby safe. The DaVinci is Greenguard Gold Certified so you don’t have to worry about toxic chemicals. It comes with the typical 1” mattress pad but the company recommends using a standard mini crib sized mattress. Some reviewers said they disliked that the DaVinci can’t be rocked when the wheels are attached.
- can be used as a rocker
- includes wheels for easy room to room portability
- 3 adjustable mattress positions
- swapping between rocking mode and wheeled modes isn’t a quick and easy process
The Emily 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib can convert to a mini toddler bed, a day bed and a twin sized bed (toddler and twin bed conversion kits are sold separately).
It comes in three classic wood finishes: ebony, espresso and white. Like our other mini crib options, the Emily 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib comes with a standard 1” mattress pad that reviewers don’t recommend. It has 4 different mattress height settings and is Greenguard Gold Certified. However, several reviewers complained that the Emily mini crib has a very strong smell that is difficult to eliminate.
- 3 classic wood finishes
- 4 mattress height options
- converts to mini toddler bed, day bed and twin sized bed
- recommended to buy new mattress
- several reviewers noticed a smell that was difficult to eliminate
The Delta Children Emery Mini Convertible is available in gray, white and dark chocolate and can convert into a twin sized headboard (must buy twin bed frame separately).
The include mini crib mattress is 2.75” thick so you don’t necessarily need to purchase an upgraded mattress for this bed. The mattress can be adjusted to two different heights to lower when your baby begins to sit or stand.
- several color options available
- can convert into a twin sized headboard
- thick mattress (don’t need to buy an upgrade)
- need to purchase twin bed frame separately
This mini crib is on the higher end price-wise but the sleek design and two-toned wood give it a stylish and modern feel.
The Babyletto Gelato can be converted to a toddler bed, daybed and twin bed with the purchase of conversion kits. The included standard 1” mattress can be adjusted to four different heights. This mini crib is Greenguard Gold Certified and has been tested for over 10,000 chemicals and VOCs. Some reviewers mentioned that the wood (New Zealand pine) is soft and easy to dent.
- stylish modern design
- converts to toddler bed, daybed or twin bed
- 4 adjustable mattress levels
- some reviewers found the wood of this crib soft and easy to dent.
What Is A Mini Crib And Why You Need One
When you look at a mini crib compared to a traditional crib they are quite similar in appearance and price. The main difference is their size…an average mini crib comes in about a foot and a half shorter in length (and a few inches in height and width) compared to a traditional crib.
So if they have a similar price tag, why would you pick a smaller version of the same product?
For starters, a mini crib is an amazing space saver. If you are following CDC guidelines of keeping your baby in your bedroom for the first year, a smaller sized crib means more space in your master bedroom.
Some mini cribs come with wheels, making them easy to move and much more portable than a traditional sized crib.
If you are trying to decide between a mini crib and a similar sized Pack-n-Play, a mini crib offers a more stylish and comfortable option for your baby.
A mini crib will also give your baby the added security that comes from being in a smaller space. Babies are used to a small and cozy quarters and a mini crib will help re-create that feel better than a standard (giant!) crib.
The Different Types of Mini Cribs
There are a few different types of mini cribs available on the market today.
- Convertible mini crib – Many mini cribs can be converted into toddler or twin/full sized beds. (Dream on Me Addison, Dream on Me Violet, Emily 4-in-1, Delta Children Emery, Babyletto Gelato)
- Foldable mini crib – Some mini cribs can be easily folded to move them out of the way (Babyletto Origami)
- Rocking mini crib – Rocking mini cribs give you the feel of a bassinet with the look of a crib. (DaVinci Alpha)
- Portable mini crib (with wheels) – Mini cribs with wheels allow you to move them easily throughout the house to keep your baby close. (Babyletto Origami, DaVinci Alpha)
4 Benefits Of Using A Mini Crib
Besides the benefit of being adorable (like every miniature thing ever created), mini cribs have some tangible benefits that parents will love.
- Stylish – Mini cribs have a huge advantage over a similar sized Pack-n-Play when it comes to style. Mini cribs mean you don’t have to sacrifice a cute nursery just because you are short on space
- Save Space – Whether the mini crib needs to fit into a small apartment or master bedroom or if it is an extra crib to have at grandma’s house a mini crib is a definite space saver.
- Portable – If you choose a version with wheels you can easily move these smaller cribs around the house so your baby is never far away while sleeping.
- Convertible – Many mini cribs will grow with your child by converting into a toddler bed and then a twin/full sized bed. This will save you money in the long run and delay the inevitable pain that comes from getting rid of a piece of your baby’s childhood.
5 Things To Look For In A Good Mini Crib
When you are looking for a mini crib that will work for your family, you may want to consider the following features:
- Portability: If you want to be able to move your mini crib from room-to-room, make sure and purchase one with casters.
- Compactness: Some mini cribs can be easily folded down for storage. If you plan on moving the mini crib daily, using it only occasionally or might need to store it in between babies this is a nice feature to have.
- Convertibility: This feature is wonderful if you plan on waiting a few years until your next child or if the mini crib is for your last baby. If you plan on having more children, a convertible mini crib won’t necessarily be helpful unless you plan on not reusing the crib.
- Mattress Height Adjustment: All of the mini cribs in this guide had adjustable mattress heights. However, if you or your spouse are on the tall side, you might want to consider the mini cribs with 3 or more mattress heights. The mattress height will keep your baby safely contained in the mini crib once they begin to sit or stand up.
- Mattress thickness: The majority of mini cribs come with a standard 1” mattress that is pretty much for show. If your budget is tight, consider the brands that come with a thicker mattress to begin with, or work an additional thick mini crib mattress into your budget.
The Final Word
Not only are they adorable, but mini cribs offer the same features of a standard crib while saving you valuable space. Mini cribs are a great option for smaller sized nurseries, to keep space open in a master bedroom, or as a “guest crib” for the grandparents house.
Mini cribs offer the convenient size and portability of a Pack-n-Play with much more comfort and security for the baby.
If saving space and budget are your main concern, the Delta Children Emery Mini Convertible with it’s thicker standard mattress, convertibility and stylish color options is the perfect choice. If you are more concerned about keeping your baby nearby while you save space, the Babyletto Origami Mini Crib with its attached wheels and folding sides is a useful and stylish design.