Christmas Gift Ideas – the best Bouncing Toys for 1 Year Olds that they’ll love!
Around six or seven months old, babies start to develop a new skill…bouncing. As their legs get stronger in preparation for standing and walking, bouncing becomes inevitable whenever their tiny feet touch a solid surface.
It’s adorable, obviously, to see your little one gleefully bouncing up and down, up and down. But let’s be honest…assisting all that bouncing can tire out mom and dad!
That’s why bouncing toys are such a fantastic product for 1-year-olds (and babies around the age of one). These toys will allow your baby to safely develop their leg muscles and get some wiggles out while you load the dishwasher (or eat some cake, or chat with a friend).
We’ve scoured the web (and reviews) to bring you the top 7 bouncing toys for 1-year-olds. Pull up your chair, let your husband hold the bouncy baby and read on to find the perfect bouncing toy for your little guy (or girl).
- TL:DR (too long, didn’t read)
- The Top 7 Bouncing Toys for 1 Year Olds
- Why Should You Get a Bouncing Toy for Your 1 Year Old?
- The Different Types of Bouncing Toys
- 4 Benefits Of Giving Your Toddler a Bouncing Toy
- 4 Things To Look For In A Good Bouncing Toy
- The Final Word on the Best Bouncing Toys for 1 Year Olds
- More Gift Ideas for One Year Olds
Note: this blog post probably contains affiliate links, which means we may receive small commissions from purchases made through links in this post (at NO extra cost to you). You can read our full disclosure for more information.
The Top 7 Bouncing Toys for 1 Year Olds
This trampoline is especially built for babies age 1+. Not only is it cute and turtle shaped, it also is easy for little ones to climb up on and hold onto the handle bar.
- No springs (which means you don’t have to worry about pinching)
- Easy height for 1-year-old to climb onto
- Sturdy and doesn’t tip
- Can be used indoors and outdoors
- Maximum weight capacity of 44 pounds
- Woven surface may rip with wear
We have a similar toy and it is AMAZING. My kids had the best time using it and were hilarious to watch. Babies sit on the Bounce and Spin Puppy and their movement can bounce and/or spin the puppy around. The Fisher Price bounce and Spin Puppy has lights, buttons and music that reacts to your baby’s movement.
- Super cute and fun to watch
- Easy for 1-year-olds to climb on and hold
- Music reacts to baby’s movement
- Educational music including ABCs and counting to 10
- Good for ages 12 months – 5 years
- Base takes up space
- Maximum weight limit of 55 pounds
YEEHAW! Get your lil’ cowboy or cowgirl their very own ride with the cutest little hopping horse you’ve ever seen. This hopper is low to the ground, has soft fabric on it and has AMAZING reviews.
- Lightweight so your one-year-old can tote it around
- Great for pretend play
- Low to the ground so a tumble off won’t hurt
- Sturdy and recommended for kids up to 12 years old
- Machine Washable
- No bells or whistles, just for bouncing.
Attached with bungee straps to a sturdy base, the Fisher-Price Rainforest Jumperoo will keep your one-year-old (and younger babies!) happily bouncing and able to turn 360 degrees to explore. The Jumperoo has lots of bright colors, lights, textures and sounds to entertain babies from around 6 months to 18 months.
- Height adjustable to grow with your child
- Machine Washable
- Legs fold in for storage
- Lots of entertaining options
- Maximum Weight limit of 25 pounds
Similar to the Hopping Horse, this adorable Unicorn version is a great option for bouncy kiddos. This has a machine washable cover and is good for kids up to age 5.
- Adorable (and available in other animal options)
- Lightweight so kids can carry it around
- Durable and machine washable
- Low to the ground so a tumble off won’t hurt
- Recommended for kids up to age 5
- No bells or whistles, just for bouncing
This classic spring horse toy coverts from a bouncer (9+ months) to a rocker (12+ months) to a spring horse (24+ months). The horse hooks to the base with four covered springs, and the horse itself actually talks and sings.
- Includes a plastic saddle seat for younger babies
- Converts as baby gets older and bigger
- Soft plush horse sings and talks
- Easy to assemble AND convert
- Takes up space/isn’t easy to store
This bouncing toy has been around since 1910! A 110 year-old toy is around for good reason, right?! YES! If you’ve never used a Jolly Jumper before, you need to try one. It is basically a sturdy seat that is attached to a door frame with a chain and a spring. There is genius in its simplicity.
- Supportive seat can be used by babies as young as 3 months (who can hold up their heads)
- Is portable (great for moving around in the house or traveling!)
- Small and easy to store
- Babies LOVE feeling independent while keeping an eye on mom and dad
- Maximum Weight Limit of 28 pounds
- Can be tricky to put young babies in by yourself
Why Should You Get a Bouncing Toy for Your 1 Year Old?
A bouncing toy is a great product for your one-year-old because it helps them develop gross motor skills and strengthens their leg and core muscles.
By purchasing a bouncing toy for your baby, you will give them a safe place to wiggle and learn while freeing up your hands to do other productive (or non-productive!) tasks. Bouncing toys for 1-year-olds are as valuable for babies as they are for parents.
The Different Types of Bouncing Toys
When the goal of a product is to allow for safe bouncing, there are many different types of options available including:
- Trampolines: Just like the grown up version, tiny trampolines make a great bouncing toy for babies and toddlers alike. Your one-year-old will need to be able to hang on and stand up on their own to get good, independent play on a trampoline (even if it is tiny).
- Activity Seats: These bouncing toys have a place for baby to sit, along with various activities for them to explore. Some seats are fixed and others rotate 360 degrees. These generally have lights, sound and buttons and are entertaining for a LONG time.
- Inflatable Hoppers: These simple bouncing toys are made of inflatable rubber. Kids can bounce to their hearts delight by holding on to handles (or ears) and bouncing along the floor. These are best for one-year-olds who can stand/walk.
- Classic Bouncing Toys: Some bouncing toys have been around for decades because babies have always loved bouncing! You can’t go wrong with a spring horse or a Jolly Jumper.
4 Benefits Of Giving Your Toddler a Bouncing Toy
Bouncing Toys provide many benefits for babies and parents alike including:
- Develops leg and core strength in babies
- Encourages balance to make pulling up, standing and walking easier
- Gets out wiggles (longer naps anyone?!)
- Provides a safe space for baby to self-entertain while mom and dad get things done
4 Things To Look For In A Good Bouncing Toy
- Sturdiness: When your precious baby is bouncing, you’ll want to know they are safe and secure.
- Portability: It’s always handy to have an option you can move from room-to-room (or farther, if you travel!).
- Longer Length of Use: If you have older kids, plan to have more kids or just are budget minded, you might want to choose a bouncing toy that will last longer than the first year OR is convertible and can be used with younger babies and toddlers.
- Higher Maximum Weight Limit: If you have larger babies and/or want the toy to be usable for longer, choose a toy with a higher maximum weight limit
The Final Word on the Best Bouncing Toys for 1 Year Olds
As a parent, finding a toy that will help your baby develop important skills AND keep them entertained is a gold mine. Bouncing toys have been around for decades because they help encourage the natural desire to bounce without requiring parental assistance. Safe and enjoyable bouncing toys for one-year-olds are a WIN/WIN for baby and parent!
Our top pick for bouncing toys for one-year-olds goes to the Fisher-Price Bounce and Spin Puppy. Your baby will adore the sounds, songs and feeling of independently bouncing on this adorable pup. You’ll love that your one-year-old (and older!) can climb on unassisted and get their wiggles out.
If you are looking for a less expensive bouncy toy, we also adore the IPlay Bouncy Pals Hopping Horse. Not only is this inflatable hopper durable, washable and CUTE…it also encourages imaginative play and can be used by kids all the way up to 12-years-old (and yes, 12-year-olds like to bounce occasionally too!)
More Gift Ideas for One Year Olds
if you’re looking for the perfect toy to gift to a one year old, here are some of our other gift guides: