Looking for the best ride on toys for a 1 year old? Here are our top favorites!
Isn’t it great to watch your little one grow up? You’ve seen them start to get mobile, roll, crawl and now? They’re on their feet and taking off!
Unfortunately, their old toys aren’t all that interesting to them anymore – they want more challenge and physically active toys to play with. So, how do you keep your little one from climbing the walls (literally!)?
Ride on toys!
Ride on toys are amazingly fun for little ones and they last for ages. You might find the ride you get now for your one year old is still getting played with at age 4 (even though they have to bend their legs up to keep them off the ground…)
This means ride on toys are an excellent investment in fun for your kids – if you want your baby to have a great playtime, don’t worry because we’ve got you covered with the best ride on toys for 1 year olds!
Note: this blog post probably contains affiliate links, which means we may receive small commissions from purchases made through links in this post (at NO extra cost to you). You can read our full disclosure for more information.
Our Top 5 Favorite Ride On Toys For One Year Olds
Fisher-Price Little People Music Parade Ride On – best all rounder!
Little Tikes Cozy Coupe 30th Anniversary Car – perfect for little one’s who are still a little unsure
Radio Flyer Scoot 2 Scooter – great for super physical toddlers (especially early walkers)!
Prince Lionheart Wheely Bug – easy starter ride on
YGJT Baby Balance Bike – best for toddlers with older siblings!
- Our Top 5 Favorite Ride On Toys For One Year Olds
- Best Ride on Toys for 1 Year Olds
- 1. Fisher-Price Little People Music Parade Ride On
- 2. Little Tikes Cozy Coupe 30th Anniversary Car
- 3. Radio Flyer Scoot 2 Scooter
- 4. Little Tikes Go Green! Ride-On Tractor for Kids
- 5. Smoby “Maestro Balade 4-in-1” Push-Along/Ride-On Car
- 6. YGJT Baby Balance Bike
- 7. Pewi Walking Ride on Toy
- 8. Kiddieland Toys Limited My Lightning McQueen Racer Ride On
- 9. Prince Lionheart Wheely Bug
- 10. Trumpette Howdy Cow Kids Inflatable Bouncy Rubber Hopper
- Why do you need a Ride on toy for your 1 year old?
- Things to Look for In A Good Ride on Toy
- 5 Benefits of Getting a Ride on Toy for Your Baby
- In Summary
- More Gift Ideas for One Year Olds
Best Ride on Toys for 1 Year Olds
Here’s our favorite ride on toys that you can get right now for your toddler!
For an affordable price, this Music Parade ride on toy car is incredibly sturdy, colorful, great for kids and it plays different parade themes and marching songs. You definitely need to get this toy for your child!
This cute car is full of interactive features that are going to make your child love it. Including:
- Under Seat Storage – One of the best features that this ride on toy has is that there is a nice little under seat storage which will give your little one extra entertainment value putting things in, taking them out and making deliveries!
- 5 marching tunes – Your 1 year old can press the buttons and listen to beautiful marching band tunes while riding the car, or even just while exploring the car (sometimes it takes a while for them to warm up to riding).
- Strong frame – this is a sturdy ride on toy which will last you for years. It’ll hold up even under the weight of older kids.
- Colorful car.
- Great for kids who like music.
- Requires batteries. (Don’t forget them!)
- Relatively heavy.
Cute and colorful, Little Tikes’ Cozy Coupe Car is one of the best ride-on toys available in the market and it shows: this is the 30th anniversary edition. It’s been around for 30 years in pretty much its current form (you probably had one when you were a kid… or knew someone who did 🙂 ) It packs a bunch of kid-friendly features and it should definitely be up on your list.
This toy car is full of amazing features like:
- Riding Wheels – The wheels are incredibly durable. The front ones can even spin 360 degrees making parent-controlled (or older sibling-controlled) rides super easy and exciting.
- Removable Floor – One of the best features is that there is a removable floor panel that can be used if the toddler doesn’t want to move the car with his feet and the parents want to push the car.
- Storage Space – On the back there is storage space for a few small things as well as a bottle holder which will be helpful if you get outdoors for a walk with this one.
- Very affordable.
- Easy for parents to comfortably push a younger toddler.
- Heavy-weight capacity (it’ll last you years!)
- Seat space is small.
- It may take your little one a while to master getting the car moving.
Extremely customizable, this scooter/ride on toy from Radio Flyer is the exact thing you need for your child (for real). This is one I’m adding to my one year old’s Christmas list this year.
Here are some things that are awesome about this scooter/ride on toy:
- Convertibility – You can convert the ride on toy depending upon your child’s balance and confidence level. It makes the perfect first scooter!
- Under seat storage – If you use it as a car you can store stuff under the seat because there is a good amount of space there.
- Easy to flip – You can easily flip the deck and convert the scooter.
- Convertible from standing scooter to ride on car.
- Scooter mode is very stable and makes the perfect first scooter!
- Relatively heavy.
- Lower weight capacity than other ride on toys means your child will outgrow this toy sooner.
The safely designed comfortable seated, green Ride-on tractor by Little Tikes is a really good buy for the price. If you’re looking to get a ride on toy, this could be one of the best bets for you.
Here are some of the great features of the Go Green Ride-on tractor.
- Child-friendly Design – The seat is curved and the tires are larger so that the tractor doesn’t fall and keeps the riding child safe with it.
- Tractor Use – The tractor ride on toy can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- Eco-friendly Build – The ride on toy has been made with recycled plastic so it is eco-friendly as well.
- Heavy-weight capacity – will last you years!
- Safe design.
- Super affordable.
- Made from Recycled Materials – so eco-friendly!
- Heavy structure.
- Three wheels means slightly less stability than most of the four wheeled ride ons we love.
Smoby has created a true wonder in terms of ride on toys. The Maestro Balade will grow with your child with multiple modes. If you have a good budget, then go for this toy.
Here are some of its exciting features.
- Adjustable Parts – For different ages, you can add or remove parts. For 6 months you have a safety rocker and harness. As your child grows, you can adjust it into a true ride on toy.
- Cute and spacious design – The design is very cute with googly eyes in the front which the baby can rotate and play with. Along with that, there is an amazing amount of storage space as well.
- Musical Sounds – The car makes funny instrument sounds for your baby’s entertainment.
- Full of features.
- Storage space.
- Heavy-weight capacity.
- Relatively expensive compared to the other toys we share here, however, it is an excellent parent-pushed option.
- Heavily built.
YGJT’s baby balance bike is an amazing ride on toy. It is incredibly safe, reasonably priced, and a huge confidence boost for children learning to develop their motor skills. You should consider this as one of the best ride on toys for 1 year olds.
YGJT’s balance bike is full of great features, here are some of them.
- Safe Design – The overall structure and design of the balance bike is very safe for your child.
- Comfortable Seat – The seat is soft and curved exactly suitable for a comfortable sitting experience.
- 135 Degree Steering Handle – The child won’t fall over because the steering handle allows only 135 degrees of movement and the tires are enclosed to avoid clamping the baby’s feet.
- Cute Design – There are multiple cute designs to choose from so you can pick your (or your toddler’s) favorite!
- Heavy-weight Capacity.
- Reasonable Price.
- Safe design.
- Small size
- Have to assemble yourself.
This walking ride on toy by YBike is smart, stylish and creative. Your toddler will have incredible fun, exciting and happy time with it.
Along with two different modes, here are some other great things about this toy:
- Strong Aluminum Structure – The whole structure is made of strong yet lightweight aluminum structure for supporting heavy weighted children as well.
- 360 Degree Moving Wheels – The 360 degree moving wheels allow the ride on toy to move in all directions.
- Walker Mode – If your child is younger than 1, you can use the walker handle for their supported walking.
- Ride on Mode – If your child is ready to ride on toys, then they can ride the toy for a fun and exciting time.
- Heavy-weight Capacity.
- Can use as a walker until your little one is ready to ride!
- Stylish Design.
- Takes some assembly.
Who doesn’t love Lightning McQueen? We surely do. And your child will too. For a decent price, with a bundle of features, this ride on car is exactly what you’re looking for.
Here are some of the exciting features it comes with:
- Beautiful Design – The design is based on the Disney character Lightning McQueen with all the right patterns and shapes, offering a beautiful aesthetic look.
- Sound effects – There are different buttons on the front of the car which give different revving and accelerating sounds for an interactive driving experience.
- Flashing Lights – The lights flash making the car toy very child friendly and exciting.
- Good for Growing Children – Even if the child is slightly older, the frame is strong enough for older children’s fun and games as well.
- A lot of interactive buttons.
- Heavyweight capacity.
- Musical sounds and lights.
- Not as comfortable as other options.
- Slightly more difficult to handle than other ride on toys on this list.
This stylish but classical ride on toy is very good. It is comfy and fun but has a limited amount of features and doesn’t offer much interaction. If you’re looking for something simple and cute, then this is your toy.
We like this ride on because it has:
- Beautiful Design – The design is pretty cute and available in different colors and patterns for your child’s liking.
- Movement Options – The wheels can move sideways, forward, backward, and in all other directions.
- Comfortable seat – For all children, the seat is very comfortable, encouraging hours of fun and enjoyment.
- Comfy design.
- Really cute design options.
- Safe construction.
- Good for indoors.
- Not ideal for outdoors.
- Slightly heavier than others.
A unique take on ride on toys by Trumpette, this inflatable rubber hopper is exactly what your child needs if they want to get themselves ready and more confident for ride on bikes and cars.
Here are some of the exciting features of this toy.
- Beautiful Design – an inflatable animal (we picked a cow as our favorite) and your child is going to have a lot of fun with it.
- Bouncing Ability – With a high-quality rubber material, you can inflate it and your toddler will have a great bouncy time with this hopper.
- Strong Rubber Quality.
- Requires a small space.
- Offers hours of bouncing fun.
- Small in size.
- May take some time for your child to learn how to use it properly (but once they do it will last them for several years!)
Why do you need a Ride on toy for your 1 year old?
Ride on toys support your child and allow them to move around on their own with the help of wheels. The toys are often car shaped and come in a lot of different shapes and sizes.
Ride on toys stimulate the mental and physical growth of your child and get (and keep!) them active and moving around in new and different ways.
It brings a sense of confidence and mental strength to the child who is learning to be independent as they master using their ride on toy.
Things to Look for In A Good Ride on Toy
Before you get a ride on toy for your toddler, there are some things that you need to look out for. From price to design, here are some of the things that you should consider while getting a good ride on toy.
- Price – Make sure that the price to feature value is great before you buy a ride on toy.
- Safe design – most ride on toys for sale conform to safety standards of your country, however, it is always good to evaluate the risk for yourself and for your child (as you know your little one best!)
- Storage – adding storage to a ride on toy adds another element your little one can involve in their play.
- Weight Capacity – how long do you want your ride on toy to be usable for?
- Comfort – is the seat design comfortable?
5 Benefits of Getting a Ride on Toy for Your Baby
Here are some of the benefits that ride on toys bring to you and your child.
- Physical Exercise and gross motor skill development – ride on toys are great exercise! They also help your child learn gross motor skills. You’ll love seeing their riding ability improve by leaps and bounds!
- Encourages independent play – while many ride on toys can get a parent involved to push, ride on toys are so much fun your little one will leap at the opportunity to play independently.
- Encourages Creativity and Problem Solving – as they try to get their ride on toy over obstacles and around corners!
- Promotes Confidence – They’ll become more confident in themselves and be happier.
- Increases Balance skills – Your baby will learn how to balance themselves on their ride on toy.
Ride on toys are the BEST toy you can possibly get for a one year old who is bored of their old baby toys. Ride on toys help young toddlers learn the physical skills they need to become more independent, confident and creative.
If your toddler is already very physically active and pretty advanced, we love the Radio Flyer Scoot 2 Scooter as it converts to a scooter when your little one is ready. It’s also perfect if you have older children who already have scooters! Another great option for a younger sibling is the YGJT Baby Balance Bike – now your little one can be just like their older brother or sister 🙂
For any toddler, you can’t go past the Fisher-Price Little People Music Parade Ride On as the best all-rounder. It’s a classic, with storage and music buttons that’ll bring hours of fun. This one even works for babies because they can press the buttons and use the storage while they build up the confidence to try riding astride.
More Gift Ideas for One Year Olds
if you’re looking for the perfect toy to gift to a one year old, here are some of our other gift guides: