Long Distance Pregnancy Announcement to Husband
I vividly remember each time I took a positive pregnancy test. There is nothing quite like that feeling of nerves combined with excitement and utter joy! My next thought was always how to tell my husband, because each pregnancy deserves its own celebration.
But what do you do when your husband is far away? Perhaps he works long-distance, or is a deployed military member. Maybe he’s just away on a trip and you can’t wait another second to share the big news!
Whatever the reason that you need to do a long distance pregnancy announcement to your husband, there are ways to make it both personal and memorable. Although he won’t be there to give you a big hug, you can create a pregnancy announcement to celebrate this wonderful occasion no matter how far away he is.
- When to Announce Your Pregnancy
- How to Make a Long Distance Pregnancy Announcement Special for You and Your Husband
- 19 Cute Ways to Announce Your Pregnancy to Your Husband at a Long Distance
- The Final Word
- More Pregnancy Announcement Ideas
Note: this blog post probably contains affiliate links, which means we may receive small commissions from purchases made through links in this post (at NO extra cost to you). You can read our full disclosure for more information.
When to Announce Your Pregnancy
While there are many different schools of thought about when to announce your pregnancy, the most important thing to remember is that YOU get to choose the right time for your family!
Some people wait to announce their pregnancy until the risk of miscarriage decreases (after the first trimester). Others choose to announce it immediately, knowing they will want the love and support they would receive from friends and family even if they have an early miscarriage.
If your husband is away and you are trying to decide when to announce your pregnancy to him, here are some things to consider:
- How long until he returns: I know you are SO EXCITED to share the big news with your hubby…but if it is a short time until he is home (and you can announce the news in-person), you might want to wait. It is so hard, but you can do it!
- How will he take the news? You should definitely consider what is going on in your husband’s life before sharing this life-altering news long distance. If he is stressed out, you might want to wait a bit. On the opposite side, if you know this news will give him something to look forward to, then telling him now is a great idea! Try to put yourself in his shoes and think about how he will feel.
- How he might feel learning about your pregnancy long-distance: Depending on your husband’s personality, long-distance good news can be just as wonderful as in-person. However, if he will be home soon-ish and you know that he would feel sad not to give you that giant hug immediately, you might want to consider waiting until he is back home.
- What options he has to receive the news: We will go over several different long-distance announcement ideas, but you should definitely keep in mind what options you are working with. If a phone call is all he can get, you might want to wait until he is in a better place for receiving video calls or a package. If packages take several months to be delivered, consider going the telephone or video call route.
Finding out he is going to be a dad (or a dad again!) should always be happy and exciting news, but by thinking carefully about the circumstances happening in your husband’s life as well as what might be the best way to break the big news, you can make this your long-distance pregnancy announcement a great experience for both of you.
How to Make a Long Distance Pregnancy Announcement Special for You and Your Husband
The time after a couple finds out they are expecting a baby is so precious. You’ll want to do everything you can to make this announcement special even if you aren’t in the same room together. Here are some ways to make your long distance pregnancy announcement something you will both treasure.
- Make sure there is video rolling on both of your reactions. If you’re making the announcement via video call, set up an extra camera or phone to film you as well as his reaction. There are special screen recording apps you can purchase, and/or borrow or buy a video camera.
Use a tripod to set up the camera so it shows both you and the screen that your husband will be on. Just try to make sure that your husband can’t see the camera! Do a practice run to make sure everything is working.
- Make the moment private: I know it might be tempting to call in a friend or family member to video the pregnancy announcement, but be sensitive and make this experience intimate and special. You don’t want anyone feeling like they can’t say what they want because someone else is watching.
- Decide if you want to be subtle or tell him straight out: There are husbands who will enjoy a creative way of revealing you are pregnant, and others who will need it spelled out directly! Consider your husband, the length of time you have to tell him and how much time/energy and money you want to invest in your announcement.
- Help him feel more involved: If you haven’t already taken the pregnancy test, but are pretty sure you are pregnant, think about taking the pregnancy test while he is on the phone/video call! Tell him your suspicions, then take the test and share the results (just be prepared for the possibility that it could be negative!).
19 Cute Ways to Announce Your Pregnancy to Your Husband at a Long Distance
Phone Call Announcement Ideas
If you can’t video chat, phone is the next best thing. Here are some fun ways to share the news audibly.
- Have your other kids break the news: If you have other kids, have them tell dad “I’m going to be a big brother/sister!” or “Dad, a baby is coming to our house!.”
- Play a game of guess the sound, and make all of the clues baby-centric. Search online for audio clips of babies babbling, splashing in the bath, and even crying. See how long it takes for him to put the clues together.
- Say, “Can you hear that?” And have it be absolutely silent. Then say, “Enjoy the quiet, because in __ months we are going to have a baby!”
- Ask him if he knows anyone with a birthday in baby’s due date month. When he asks why, say, “Well, they’re going to be birthday buddies with our new baby!”
- Record your baby’s heartbeat and tell him you have something you want him to hear. See if he can figure it out!
Video Call Ideas
Adding in a visual element opens up your long-distance pregnancy announcement options. Here are some super fun ways to share the big news via video call!
- Show your positive pregnancy test
- Buy some baby swag for his favorite sports team or brand. Say, “Look what I found at Nike!” Then wait for his big reaction.
- Tell him you need some fashion advice, and ask if he can help you decide which outfit he likes better. Then hold up two different baby outfits!
- Put some sort of baby item in the background (stroller, shoes, onesie, bottle etc). See how long it takes him to notice and then break the news.
- Record baby’s heartbeat or ultrasound from a doctor’s visit. Tell him you have something you want him to see/hear and then break the big news!
- If you are starting to show, put on an outfit that accentuates your baby bump and say, “Do I look pregnant in this? Because I am!”
- Wear an adorable baby shirt like this one or this one. See if he notices.
- Tell him you got something for his car, and then hold up a “Baby on Board” sign.
Card or Package in the Mail
If you send a card or a package in the mail, you will still want to hear/see his reaction, so make sure to mark it, “Wait to open until we are on the phone!” That way, he has something to physically hold AND you get to see his reaction.
- Wrap up and send your positive pregnancy test (thoroughly cleaned!). Put it in a nice gift box to really throw him off!
- Send a onesie and baby booties
- Send a “Save the Date” Card (as a bonus, you can send the rest to friends and family after daddy hears the news!).
- Add an Ultrasound picture to a card: Choose a funny card like, “You’re my Favorite Baby Daddy” card OR a sweet card like this “Love you daddy.”
- Wrap up a cute t-shirt like “Promoted to Daddy” or “Best Dad Ever.”
- Send him a package with Baby Ruth candy bars and Sugar Daddy suckers. See if he guesses the connection.
The Final Word
Telling your husband he is going to be a daddy is a beautiful thing whether he is standing next to you or thousands of miles away. It may not be exactly like the pregnancy announcements you see on YouTube, but your long distance pregnancy announcement is perfect because it is YOURS.
No matter which way you choose to tell your husband you are pregnant, by mail delivery, telephone or video call, enjoy every minute and record it as the momentous treasure it is. Congratulations on your new baby!