The perfect mom to be care package for the pregnant mom in your life.
When you’re expecting a baby, your feelings can move from excitement to terror in three seconds flat. Dealing with hormones, your body changing and the realization that your life is changing forever can be very stressful.
One of the things a mom-to-be needs the most is SUPPORT. Friends, co-workers and family that show up in any way can make a big difference for an expecting mama.
If you want to show support to a mom-to-be, a care package is a thoughtful way to reach out and make her smile. Whether you are sending a package from afar or dropping it on a co-workers desk, a care package just for her is a sweet way to let an expecting mama know you are thinking about them.
Read on for fun packaging and thoughtful gift ideas that will show that special mom-to-be that you are thinking of them.
Note: this blog post probably contains affiliate links, which means we may receive small commissions from purchases made through links in this post (at NO extra cost to you). You can read our full disclosure for more information.
How to Package Your Mom to Be Care Package
Putting in extra effort on the presentation of the care package will make it even more special. Without breaking the bank, there are simple things you can add to make your gift extra adorable. Some ideas to consider:
- A box: Transform a box you already have by painting or glueing craft paper to the inside and adding encouraging messages. There are also fun boxes you can buy on Amazon and transform into a beautiful mom-to-be care package
- A basket: Putting your gifts into a container that can be re-used will make the mom-to-be care package beautiful now and useful later. You could go with a wire basket, a canvas container or a classic woven basket. Or choose a bin she can use in baby’s room later!
- A bag: There are so many cute tote bags and diaper bag options on Amazon. Care package gifts packed up into a useful bag would be so much fun to receive.
- Filler: Adding shredded paper to your care package (especially if you choose to put it in a basket) gives it a finished and full look. As an alternative, you could fluff some baby receiving blankets in the bottom to make a nice “nest” for the gifts.
- Ribbons: Don’t forget the power of ribbons to fancy up your care package. Choose from a lovely wire ribbon, trendy burlap ribbon or everyone’s favorite, curling gift ribbon.
What to Put in Your Mom to Be Care Package
In creating a mom-to-be care package remember that we are focusing on mom! There will be baby showers for the baby, this is your opportunity to spoil the mom-to-be.
Think about gifts that will help her with typical pregnancy issues like morning sickness, aches and pains, indigestion and general discomfort. Growing a baby is hard work and these gifts will encourage expecting mamas to practice self-care.
Here are some items to consider adding to your mom-to-be care package:
- *Preggie Pops– Made with natural essential oils and plant botanicals that relieve nausea, many pregnant women swear by these small hard candies to combat morning sickness.
- *Morning Sickness Tea– A tea made with orange and ginger,, this is another helpful and soothing way to fend off morning (or all day!) sickness.
- *Saltine Crackers- The combination of blandness and salt make these a bedstand necessity for moms dealing with morning sickness.
- *Pregnancy journal/planner– A mom-to-be will love recording all of the exciting events of her pregnancy in a journal or planner. There are so many cute options to choose from including our pretty printable one!
- *Sea Bands– Many pregnant mamas swear by sea bands bracelets to curb their morning sickness. These bracelets push a pressure point that helps your stomach settle.
- A cozy robe- There will be days during her pregnancy where all she will want to do is curl up in something soft and warm. A robe like this one would be perfection.
- A fun book to read– An easy but fun read can help distract a worried or sick mom-to-be.
- A mom t-shirt: You could add an adorable t-shirt that is soft and mom-centric.
- Encouraging Pregnancy Affirmations: This deck of 50 affirmations for expecting mothers is as beautiful as it is encouraging. This would make a great addition to a care package.
- Pregnancy or parenting magazine– You can include a magazine centered on pregnancy or parenting (or even buy a subscription!)
- A pretty heat pack– As the mom-to-be’s body changes to prepare for birth there can be a lot of aches and pains. A reusable heat pack (that is also cute!) will be so helpful..
- Lip balm– A soothing lip balm is a great item to include in a gift basket for mom.
- Chocolate– Every mom-to-be deserves some delicous chocolate.
- Body butter– It’s no wonder that a mom-to-be’s skin needs some extra TLC during pregnancy. Body butter can help moisturize her from head to toe.
- Bath bombs: Soaking in a tub can help soothe aches and pains for a pregnant mama AND help her to feel pampered. These are made with all natural ingredients and essential oils.
- Tums: Another bedstand necessity that not every mom-to-be has on hand, antiacids are a thoughtful addition to a gift basket.
- Foot soak: This all natural foot soak can also be used in the bath. It contains Magnesium to help alleviate stress, cramps and even morning sickness.
- Slippers: Give her swollen tootsies a nice place to pad around in with soft and stylish slippers.
*first trimester only.
Things to Avoid in a Mom-to-be Care Package
It is important to be thoughtful when purchasing items for an expecting mom’s care package. Here are a few things to avoid.
Strong scents or Flavors: Check to see if she has any aversions to scents or flavors. You can ask her directly, or if you want the care package to be a surprise, get this important info from her partner or family members.
Items for the Baby: Make this gift only about her. I know it is hard to pass up that oh-so-cute baby jumper, but save it for the baby shower and use this care package to spoil mama.
Possible Allergens: Try to stay away from nuts or other ingredients that could trigger an allergic reaction. If you don’t know about allergies its probably a good idea to keep this package nut-free.
When to Send a Mom-to-be Care Package
The truth is, there is NEVER a bad time to give a mom-to-be a care package! The beginning of the pregnancy, the middle, close to the end…these items will be appreciated and used by pregnant moms at any stage of the adventure.
If the mom-to-be is experiencing illness, or is on bedrest or is struggling for any reason, a care package can be a great way to let her know that you’re there for her.
If you are giving a care package to a mom in the second or third trimester, you may want to leave out the products especially for morning sickness (unless you know she is still experiencing it).
The Final Word
Sometimes in celebrating the miracle of babies we forget that the moms are pretty miraculous themselves. A thoughtful care package filled with gifts that will pamper her, help with morning sickness, entertain her and give her a much needed boost of encouragement is an amazing way to support and celebrate motherhood.
A care package doesn’t have to be elaborate. The beauty of this list is that you can scale it up or down to fit your budget. Even one or two thoughtful gifts for a mom-to-be will help her feel loved and seen.