Strawberry lactation smoothie recipe – sweet, smooth and delicious smoothie for breastfeeding moms.
If you’re breastfeeding, make sure you support your health and your milk supply by making a lactation smoothie. These are great at keeping hunger away and they taste delicious! Lactation recipes are easy enough for anyone to whip together in just seconds with ingredients that can be found anywhere from the grocery store or even right there on your kitchen countertop.
Smoothies are the perfect way to get a healthy dose of fruits and vegetables, especially if you’re feeling adventurous. You can easily swap out your favorite ingredients for something different that will still taste great!
It’s so easy to make smoothies to your dietary needs too – if you are:
- low carb
The best thing about smoothies is you can easily make them healthier with things like hidden vegetables, protein powder or collagen powders and other supplements!
Note: this blog post probably contains affiliate links, which means we may receive small commissions from purchases made through links in this post (at NO extra cost to you). You can read our full disclosure for more information.
What’s in my favorite strawberry lactation smoothie:
Strawberry – get your fill of vitamin C with fresh and delectable strawberry. Deliciously sweet and delightfully tart, it’s the perfect fruit to add to your lactation smoothie.
Banana – great for sweetening your smoothie naturally, bananas also help make it super creamy (especially if you take the time to freeze the banana overnight). Bananas contain lots of healthy vitamins and minerals too, like potassium.
Flax Meal – full of essential fatty acids and phytoestrogens, it’s thought that flax seeds can help increase your milk supply. You won’t taste them in a smoothie, but they’ll help make it thick and creamy.
Rolled Oats – another famous food to increase your milk supply. In a smoothie, oats add creaminess and help to keep you full.
Brewer’s Yeast (Debittered) – optional! A well known galactagogue (foods that increase milk supply) you can add Brewer’s Yeast into this smoothie once your baby has arrived. The best kind to get is this one, which has been ‘debittered’ as it has a bit of an aftertaste.
These ingredients (plus a few more) when mixed together make a decadent, sweet, strawberry smoothie that’s just delicious!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 frozen banana, sliced
- 3/4 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened milk of choice
- 1-2 teaspoons honey, to taste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon debittered Brewer's Yeast (optional)
- extra ice (optional - helps it stay icy cold and adds a bit of thickness)
1. Add all ingredients into a high-powered blender and blend for 1 minute.
2. Pour into a glass and enjoy.
You can use frozen strawberries or fresh, however, frozen will make a delectable thickshake consistency.
Do Lactation Smoothies Work?
Some moms can’t seem to produce enough milk and lactation smoothies won’t be able to do anything about that. If you think this may apply, please see your family doctor or a lactation consultant.
There are still lots of benefits to drinking lactation smoothies (beyond increasing milk supply):
- it’s an easy way to get your nutrients in at one of the most busiest times of your life!
- you can whip up a big smoothie in advance and keep it in the fridge to drink all day long.
- you can prepare smoothie freezer bags so it’s super easy and you don’t have to worry if anyone did the groceries yesterday.
- you can put just about anything in them – got leftover ricotta or cottage cheese? In it goes! Leftover cucumber? Try your smoothie green. Got a little bit of cream left? Get fancy and put it on top!
When To Start Drinking Lactation Smoothies
You can start drinking lactation smoothies right now! They’re filled with healthy and nutritious ingredients that will make you feel good too. Just skip the Brewer’s Yeast for the aftertaste if you’re still pregnant.
More Reading on Breastfeeding and Milk Supply
- Pumpkin Spice Lactation Smoothie The Ultimate Fall Smoothie
- Lactation Smoothie Recipes Milk Boosting Smoothies for New Moms
- Avocado Lactation Smoothie
- Blueberry Lactation Smoothie
- Chocolate Lactation Smoothie
- 19 Delicious Lactation Smoothies to Boost Your Milk Supply
- 22 Delicious Lactation Cookie Recipes to Increase Your Milk Supply
- 6 Breastfeeding Tips to Increase Your Milk Supply
- 31 No Fuss Healthy Snacks for Breastfeeding Moms
- The Ultimate Breastfeeding Class