The best baby jumper you can buy that’ll keep baby entertained (hands-free!) while you get some time to get things done.
If you’ve ever held a baby on your lap while they jump up and down repeatedly you will understand the genius of a baby jumper. Not only do baby jumpers allow your baby to safely exercise their newly discovered jumping muscles, they also free up your hands to do other work (or rest!).
But with so many different types of baby jumpers and a big variation in price points, what are the best baby jumpers for 2020? We’ve combed the internet checking out baby jumpers and have five of the best options for you.
If your baby is happy and hopping, and you’d love a few minutes to yourself, check out the five best baby jumpers of 2020 and decide which one will work best for your family.
- TL:DR (too long, didn’t read)
- What Is A Baby Jumper And Why You Need One
- The Different Types of Baby Jumpers
- 3 Benefits Of Using A Baby Jumper
- 3 Things To Look For In A Good Baby Jumper
- The Final Word
Note: this blog post probably contains affiliate links, which means we may receive small commissions from purchases made through links in this post (at NO extra cost to you). You can read our full disclosure for more information.
TL:DR (too long, didn’t read)
Short on time? Our favorite jumper was the Fisher-Price Color Climbers Jumperoo for the perfect combination of options and price.
Skip Hop Baby Activity Centre
The Skip Hop Baby Activity Center can convert from a bouncer for a younger baby, to an activity table for a toddler. With a 360 degree rotating seat and four easy-to-move toys, including a piano that can attach near feet or by your baby’s hands, the Skip Hop Activity Center is very versatile. The bouncing mechanism for this product is a platform attached to the seat with straps. It tilts or moves as baby pushes down on it with their feet. It is easy to adjust to different heights and simple to convert and store. As a bouncer, it is good for babies until they reach 25 pounds/30 inches tall.
I love that the toys on the Skip Hop Baby Activity Center can be positioned anywhere on the table top. This allows for different toy configurations that will keep your baby entertained for longer. This activity center/jumper doesn’t require any tools to set up and can be converted and taken apart easily when baby grows out of it.
- fun for baby!
- can change toy configurations to keep baby interested.
- easy to convert and take apart
- exceptionally good reviews from many happy parents
- Some reviewers mention the “bee bowl” toy doesn’t have very good suction.
- Others mention that they wish there were additional toys you could purchase for this product.
The Jolly Jumper is a traditional jumper attached with a spring to a portable stand. Using a stand instead of a doorway means this jumper can be used indoors or taken outdoors. The “scientifically designed” saddle seat supports baby’s spine so that they have good posture while jumping. The bouncing mechanism for the Jolly Jumper is a large spring which will give your bouncy baby sizeable movement. The Jolly Jumper can be used until baby is a maximum of 28 pounds.
The Jolly Jumper folds down for easy storage so it won’t take up a lot of space. This is a “no-frills” jumper with no toys or music (although you can purchase an additional musical mat) so it may not be entertaining as long as other jumper options. The instructions for properly securing your baby to the saddle seat look a little bit complicated (especially if your baby is squirmy or upset), however, it is easy enough when you get the hang of it. Many reviewers mention that it is difficult to take the stand down and it has a very big footprint.
- scientifically designed to keep baby’s spine in a good position.
- easy fold for storage, doesn’t take much space
- the stand has a large footprint and is difficult to take down.
- no frills – this jumper is just about jumping, no additional toys to keep baby’s attention.
Baby Einstein Neptune’s Ocean Discovery
This mid-priced jumper ocean themed jumper is full of bells and whistles. It is brightly colored and has eight attached toys. The electronic sea turtle toy can also be removed from the jumper for independent play. The bouncing mechanism of the Baby Einstein jumper is three fabric covered springs that attach to the 360 degree swivel seat. This jumper has four height positions that are very easy to adjust, even with baby in the chair. The Baby Einstein Neptune’s Ocean Discover can be used for babies up to 25 pounds/30 inches tall.
I think babies will love all of the things to see on the Baby Einstein’s Neptune’s Ocean Discovery. It is not as big and bulky as other jumpers but babies could potentially tire of the same configuration of toys. Reviewers say that the springs are pretty tight therefore it isn’t super bouncy.
- brightly colored with 8 attached toys
- four easy adjust height positions
- not as big and bulky as other jumpers
- reviewers say springs are quite tight so the bouncer is not very bouncy.
Fisher-Price Color Climbers Jumperoo
The Fisher-Price Color Climbers Jumperoo is very similar in style to the Baby Einstein Neptune’s Ocean Discovery, but at a lower price point. It has eight built-in toys and a 360 degree swivel seat is attached by three fabric covered springs. The Jumperoo is quick and easy to assemble and has three different height settings. It is designed for babies up to 25 pounds and 32 inches in height.
The animal theme and colors are adorable. It has a lot of different activities to keep baby busy. Reviewers mention that some babies get frustrated because the toys can’t be pulled all the way into their mouths.
- Cute animal theme and bright colors
- 8 built-in toys and 360 degree swivel seat
- easy to assemble with 3 different height settings
- reviewers mentioned some babies may get frustrated because they can’t get the toys in their mouths!
Summer Pop ‘n Jump Portable Activity Center – Lightweight Baby Jumper
This is one of the least expensive and most portable jumpers. The Summer Pop ‘n Jump activity center comes fully assembled and can be folded into a carry bag. It comes with three attached toys, has a UV adjustable canopy, and also has 3 levels of height adjustment. Springs attached to the top of the jumper make this bouncy. However, the chair does not swivel. There are no height or weight limits listed on the company’s website.
The Summer Pop ‘n Jump Portable Activity Center would be amazing for camping and travel but might not be the most entertaining or longest lasting choice for an at-home jumper.
- excellent option for travelling or camping
- comes fully assembled and folds down into a handy carry bag
- 3 levels of height adjustment
- no swivel chair
- only 3 toys, which may mean baby gets bored faster
What Is A Baby Jumper And Why You Need One
Baby Jumpers are a product designed to help entertain and exercise babies. They come in several types, from basic hanging seats that allow baby to push off the floor and bounce, to activity center jumpers with a spring suspended seat and attached toys/activities.
A baby jumper is perfect for when babies discover their leg muscles but can’t yet crawl or stand OR for when your baby is quite mobile but you need to get things done! If have run out of ways to keep your more active 6+ month old baby safely occupied while you do other things, a baby jumper is a wonderful investment.
There is some controversy surrounding the use of baby jumpers. Some doctors and organizations say that they can stifle a baby’s physical development and cause injuries. Used minimally, a baby jumper can be an amazing tool.
The Different Types of Baby Jumpers
- Hanging/Door Spring Jumper (Jolly Jumper): The hanging spring jumper are the original style of baby jumpers. Some attach to door frames with a clamp and others come with their own metal frame to make them more portable. They have a giant spring at the top of the jumper and hang down. They are quite bouncy.
- Suspended Chair Activity Center (Skip Hop Baby Activity Center, Baby Einstein Neptune’s Ocean Discovery, Fisher-Price Color Climbers Jumperoo) : This newer style of jumpers come in the form of activity centers. Not only do the seats swivel and allow baby to bounce, activity centers also have some sort of table surface and attached toys.
- Portable Baby Jumper (Summer Pop ‘n Jump Portable Activity Center): One of the more basic types of baby jumpers, portable baby jumpers are not as fancy, but still serve the same purpose of keeping baby entertained.
3 Benefits Of Using A Baby Jumper
There are many benefits to having a baby jumper for your active baby including:
- Independent Exercise: Let baby move and explore without needing your help
- Entertainment: Depending on the type of jumper you choose, they will keep your little one entertained and occupied.
- Time off for parents: One of the biggest benefits of having a baby jumper is that it will free up both your hands AND your time! Knowing that your baby is safely occupied, getting exercise and letting you have time “off” is exhilarating… Ok, you’ll probably just do the dishes or something. But still!
3 Things To Look For In A Good Baby Jumper
When choosing a baby jumper, consider the importance of these features:
Portability: If you are hoping to use the baby jumper inside and outside, or for travel, you will want to choose a version that is easy to fold and transport.
Bounce Level: If you have an especially bouncy baby, you might want to choose a hanging door spring jumper like the Jolly Jumper.
Activities: Baby jumpers come with a variety of activities from zero to many. Think about how stimulating you want the jumper to be for your baby.
Are jumpers bad for babies?
CHOICE, the Australian Consumers’ Association lists Jolly Jumpers in their “10 Things Not to Buy Your Kids.” They claim that the clamp can come off of door frames harming the baby and older siblings can push the jumper into the wall, injuring the baby.
Experts also caution that time limits of 10-15 minutes are important for jumper use. Baby jumper seats cause babies to stand leaning forward on their tippy toes and extended use “added stress to the ankle joint and the gastrocnemius muscle group.”
Studies also show that babies with “high equipment use,” (equipment like baby jumpers) have decreased motor skills development and control.
What age can a baby use a jumper?
Baby jumpers are usually marketed as a product you can begin using once your baby is able to hold up their head on their own. That being said, most jumpers are made for babies that are bigger…at least six months old. You might be able to put a four month old in a baby jumper, but size and development wise, a baby jumper with attached toys will be best for babies 6 months and up.
When do babies stop using jumpers?
Most babies will grow out of jumpers around one year of age. As soon as your baby is able to cruise or walk, the appeal of being contained in a baby jumper will decrease.
The Final Word
Baby jumpers entertain your baby, help them get exercise and keep them safely contained. As long as you practice moderation, they are a wonderful product to purchase so that you can have some free time.
The best baby jumper option as far as price and available features is the Fisher-Price Color Climbers Jumperoo. With cute colors and a fun animal theme, as well as a higher height limit than the other baby jumpers, the Fisher Price Color Climbers Jumperoo will provide lots of fun stimulation and movement for your baby. Even better? Some time for you to eat, shower or relax!
More Baby Gear Guides
Looking for more baby gear guides? Here are some you’ll love!
Best Stainless Steel Sippy Cup – Non Toxic Options for Baby
Best Bassinet for A Newborn [2020 Guide]
Best Outdoor Toys for 1 Year Olds [2020 Gift Guide]