There are few things more enjoyable in life than announcing to your family that you are having a baby. It’s so much fun to share the joy, excitement and happiness you are feeling with the people who love you most!
A new baby will bring joy and a bright spot of hope that is especially needed in the world today. Let’s talk about how to announce your pregnancy to your family in person and spread the light and love that is a new baby!
What is the best way to announce your pregnancy to your family in person? We came up with 13 ideas that are the best combination of fun, creativity, and blissfully simple to pull off.
Note: this blog post probably contains affiliate links, which means we may receive small commissions from purchases made through links in this post (at NO extra cost to you). You can read our full disclosure for more information.
When to Announce Your Pregnancy
When announcing pregnancy to family, many people are:
1) So excited they can’t wait AND/OR
2) Wanting family to know before they announce it to the rest of the world.
It is totally understandable and acceptable to announce your pregnancy to your family earlier than might be deemed proper in pregnancy etiquette.
There are several schools of thought on the best time to announce that you are expecting. Some people wait until the second trimester (4+ months along) because the risk of miscarriage drops.
Others tell their family right away because they know that they will want their love and support in the off-chance that something DID go wrong in the pregnancy.
The bottom line is that you should announce your pregnancy to your family when YOU want to.
Are you worried about your family’s reaction and want to wait awhile? No hurry, you can wait! Are you so excited that you almost spill the beans every time you talk to your mom? Plan your pregnancy announcement now and let her share in your excitement!
One thing to keep in mind when announcing your pregnancy to your family is the TIMING. If you are attending a big college graduation party, don’t take attention away from that event with your pregnancy announcement. It might be best to plan and announce at your very own event so you don’t steal someone’s thunder or cause hard feelings.
17 Cute Ways to Announce Your Pregnancy to Family in Person
Now onto the fun! We’ve come up with ideas (and linked to adorable products) that will make it easy-peasy to announce your pregnancy to your family in person. Some of these ideas will take some guessing…while others are blatantly obvious! Be sure to take into account your audience when deciding on the best way to announce.
Also, if you want to announce it in a different way for your family than your husband’s family…that’s okay too! There is no wrong way to do this, a pregnancy announcement will be super exciting, no matter how you go about it.
- Cute Announcement Onesie – There are so many adorable onesie like this pregnancy announcement onesie! Let your new little one make the announcement with his or her adorable tiny shirt! Throw it in a cute bag and gift it to Grandma for Mother’s Day, Christmas or a just because gift.
- Cute Dog Bandana: Let your fur baby do the announcing with this sweet pregnancy announcement dog bandana! Just put it on your pup and wait for your family to notice.
- Big Sister/brother t-shirts: This pregnancy announcement is classic because it is SO DARN ADORABLE! Grab some cute Big Brother/Big Sister t-shirts and have your kids wear them to the next family event. This works especially well if your kids have coats on when you first arrive.
- Family Shirts: This pregnancy announcement works amazing at Christmas time especially if you have a big family gathering. Buy a shirt for everyone (with grandma/grandpa/auntie/uncle/cousin etc. on them). Have them wrapped, and have everyone open them at the same time. SO FUN!
- Ultrasound photo display: Subtly display an ultrasound picture using a picture frame you already have, or buy a new cute frame like this clip picture frame. See who notices it first!
- Custom jigsaw puzzles: If your family has a puzzle tradition for Christmas Eve, New Year’s Eve or just loves to puzzle anytime, you could purchase a custom jigsaw puzzle. Using a picture of your ultrasound or just the words “New Baby coming [date]” you’ll have so much fun watching your family piece the big news together!
- Lottery Scratch Tickets: Everyone loves the lotto! Grab some of these awesome custom lottery scratch tickets and let your family try their luck and realize they are getting a prize even better than cash!
- Group photo Surprise: When everyone is gathering for a family group photo, position you or your husband by the camera and say, “On three say, ‘[name] is pregnant!’” Just be sure your camera is on video mode to get their reactions!
- Mom-to-be/dad-to-be shirts: From pregnancy announcement t-shirts that will make them chuckle like this Ice Ice t-shirt or “We’re pregnant, but mostly her” or a subtle mom-to-be or dad-to-be t-shirt, wearing a shirt to make your pregnancy announcement in person is a simple and fun way to let your family know you are expecting!
- Golden egg reveal – This unique and BEAUTIFUL way to announce your pregnancy would be so much fun! You can customize the written paper found inside a gorgeous golden egg. Your giftee breaks it open to reveal the exciting news.
- Custom wine labels – This sweet custom wine label is a clever way to announce to wine-loving parents that you are expecting! Just attach it to a wine bottle and bring it to the next family gathering.
- Scavenger hunt: I love the idea of setting up a simple scavenger hunt for grandparents to discover they are going to have a baby. Here are pregnancy announcement scavenger hunt cards all ready that you can purchase and print off.
- Color Changing pregnancy reveal mugs – if you have a grandma-to-be that drinks tea or coffee this color changing pregnancy reveal mug would be simply magical! Upload a photo of your ultrasound and watch the reveal when you add hot liquid to the cup.
- Baby shoes: Buy a cutie patootie pair of tiny baby shoes and have set up near the spot that guests take off shoes and watch their puzzlement.
- Pregnancy announcement spoon: Set out dinner or tea and have these lovely stainless steel spoons at their place setting. Bonus: you can keep them forever as a memento!
- Edible Announcement: Decorate the cake for dessert with candy or icing spelling “I’m pregnant” or “Baby Coming Soon.” You could also use a gorgeous cake topper like this “We’re Having a Baby” Cake Topper.
- Message at the bottom of the mug – This mug looks like your normal, every day mug…but once you drink to the bottom you’ll see a very special pregnancy reveal!
The Final Word on Ways to Announce Pregnancy to Family (In Person)
Relish every moment of telling your family that you are having a baby! Isn’t your family so lucky to have a new person to love and be loved by?! Babies are miracles that our world needs more than ever right now, and sharing the news that you are expecting will make everyone’s life a little brighter.
Whether you go with a simple t-shirt pregnancy announcement in person or get a little more fancy with a custom puzzle, your family is about to get the surprise of a lifetime and YOU get to be the one who puts that smile on their face. Congratulations! ENJOY!!!